We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Bankruptcy and bank charges

I had to make myself Bankrupt last year and it was signed off in April this year, I have been attempting to claim back bank charges. If the test case result is that they have to pay back the charges, am I still entitled to what they own me? It was a joint account.

Comments

  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,721 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    No you're not entitled at all.

    I assume that the joint account is still owing to the other person on the account and they are liable for any debt on it?? If so they are the ones entitled to the charges. You gave up your rights/liabilities to the account and everything that goes with it, when you went BR.

    If the other person was also BR, then the OR is the one who would get any charges. If this is the case then its not worth your while chasing the funds.
  • Yeah I asked the same question recently,

    Once you go BR the OR takes control of all of your bank accounts, therefore any money that you may get back from the bank would officially belong to the OR.

    I decided that the money which had been written off during my BR was better than the money I may have been able to claim back!
  • i'm not too sure, me and my husband split up which is the reason I had to go bankrupt, due to the debt he left me with. it was a joint account and he hasn't gone bankrupt although I understand he has failed to pay a penny of anything in the last couple of years, including a bank loan he has with the same bank, if we were awareded anything, would they pay my half to the receivers and his half towards his debt? I dont think he even has a bank account anymore
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,721 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    They would not pay half to even your receivers as the account is not in their hands; its entirely in your EXs now (because there is still someone to chase the payments).

    Its not your problem if he has not paid a penny into it. You are BR and debt free.

    You are flogging a dead horse here. You cannot claim anything back, but your EX can. Whether he does or not is a different matter. Whether he bothers to pay the debts or not are also a different matter but not your problem. Let it go; unless he agrees to claim and give you some.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.