frustrated !!

Options
My youngest son has just finished reception and will be in year one in september and this means he will be able to go to after school club. I think now is the time to start doing something for me . I have been a stay at homemum since I was 16 so have no work experience.

I looked into doing an access to higher education course but can't get my son to school and then to college on time as I don't drive it would still be difficult if i could. I found an online course and started that but have had to stop becuase I just can;t afford the £40 a month it was costing so I have had to give up on my dream of becoming a midwife at this point.

so instead I am looking for work but with no experience of anything ,no references,being unable to drive and right now being in constant pain I am just not having any luck. I need someone to give me a chance , let me start and get some experience but everyone wants something i don't have and its driving me crazy .

I don't even know why I am posting here I just wanted to get it off my chest I guess.

has anyone here been through similar problems ?
I am journeying to a debt-free life.
Our estimated debt-free date is January 2040. I'm on a mission to bring that date closer!
16/02/23 debts - £9556.38
emergency fund - £00.00
debt-free diary - Time to Face the music and deal with this debt once and for all

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, I think if you are a stay at home mum you will benefit more from face to face interactions rather than doing a course at home. You would meet new friends who may be going on to do the same uni course as you.

I did the access course 3 years ago and they are suitable for parents. My course started at 9:30am and finished by 2:30pm. They were really flexible and understood parent's dilema of childcare etc. You should contact your local college and speak to the course leader.
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have done, the course starts at 9.15 and i wouldn't be able to get there until at least 10 due to it being the oposite side of town and needing to get 3 buses to get there because of my mobility issues at the moment. they used to do it flexitime but changed that a few years ago :(
    Our estimated debt-free date is January 2040. I'm on a mission to bring that date closer!
    emergency fund - £00.00
    debt-free diary - Time to Face the music and deal with this debt once and for all
  • JustJewels
    JustJewels Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    Hi jane130

Yes, I know exactly where you're coming from; you need to work but childcare responsibilities are complicating things.

I was in the same situation after returning to UK after 12 years abroad - no job, no recent experience, no transport.

I started tackling my probs one at a time; for a reference, I did volunteer work for the local hospital (in their coffee shop) on the weekend so hubby could mind junior.
    I had NO catering experience, but they didn't mind at all. They were just so pleased to have someone willing to volunteer on a Sunday. Very different to paid work, I only did a 3 hour shift once a fortnight, but I got a reputation of being reliable and friendly, and a reference which I used to get a job!

For money, I asked the other mummies if I could take their kids to school for a small payment.

I swapped babysitting at night for driving lessons at the weekend. I got my DL (second attempt!) after a year.

You can do it, but it could be a slow process. Keep your goal in sight!

Good luck

JJ
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    Hi have you thought of applying for healthcare assistant jobs? O.K I know it's not the same thing but it would give you money and give you some expereience of the health service which may help later on down the line if you have some expereience when applying to courses?
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • hennagirl
    hennagirl Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    I know what you mean - I have been SAHM since I had my first child eleven years ago:eek:!! In that time I have volunteered for four years at middle school helping with ICT lessons but had to give it up a year ago when we moved to London. I am a graduate and have done courses to keep up my ICT skills but have had a hard slog this year to even get an interview.

I am trying for teaching assistant jobs but haven't had any luck with this at all. I even applied to do a PGCE - got an interview and was up against people with more recent work experience than myself and didn't get in. My younger one is seven and I still need to be around to pick up/drop off school and be around in the holidays.

I feel very despondent and really don't know which way to turn now. You are not alone in feeling like this but I guess we just have to ride it out.
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am applying for hca jobs , haven't had any luck yet though . I guess i just have to keep trying and keep my goal in mind for the future.
    emergency fund - £00.00
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What about doing some volunteer work at your local school? You can do your teaching assistants course along side this and then you would be qualified to apply for the jobs that come up. Many mums start this way.
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • lindab15
    lindab15 Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some good suggestions here already. Don't know your circumstances, but wondered if the LSC 'free childcare for training and learning for work' scheme might be any use to you ?

Aimed at the non-working partner of a couple family earning under £20k pa - covers childcare costs for returning to vocational education ? Link here

Good luck - don't give up !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport