Zero Hours Contracts

Options
I tried searching but nothing came up.. can someone explain in simple :rolleyes: terms exactly what a Zero hours contract means... a young relative just got his first job after being on JSA for over a year (he was over the moon) and its a zero hours contract, he understands that means some weeks he won't be given any shifts at all..so what is he supposed to do about his JSA? he signed on last week before he was interviewed and was successful so when he goes next week what does he do?... I assume tell them he has found employment but if they sign him off and he gets no shifts he will have no money at all even to get himself to work..

I would be gratefull for any help as he is worrying himself into a right old state about it and its such a shame as he said to me , its so great to be able to say to people at last " I have a job" ........ I could of cried.. he has tried so hard...
#6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Comments

• Tao81
    Tao81 Posts: 653 Forumite
    Options
    It's not a voluntary position is it? :confused: Has he checked it out fully?
    What exactly does the contract say?
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. :A
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No its not voluntary I haven't seen it but he says that it says zero hours contract and there may be weeks when they have no shifts available.. I have heard of these before.. its not ideal I know but he was desparate to be able to put on his CV some experience and that he HAD a job.. he has been told that they don't even bother to look at applications where someone has no experience he hasn't managed to get work since leaving 6th form over a year ago..

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    Its sessional work.

Only time will tell whether he is better off on JSA
  • ferien_uk
    ferien_uk Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    My old workplace used to do these. Although they were mainly for staff who had left to go to uni, but wanted to be able to do shifts during the holidays.

The way it worked there was that each department was given a certain amount of bsaic hours they were allowed to take on staff for. eg if they were given 70 basic hours, they could hire 2 full time members of staff.

In addition, they were a given a certain amount of hours of overtime they could give to staff. Anyone on a zero hours contract would be given their hours from this allowance.

My advice would be to speak to the company and get clear how many hours he is likely to be given, and then go from there.
    However, I imagine that the company will be reluctant to say how many hours they can give him. Presumably the reason for the zero hours contract is because they don't know when they will be needing staff.
    If I were him, I would probably give it a go, and if he finds he's not getting enough hours, look for something else then. He might find it easier to get one once he has this one on his CV.
  • Mudd14
    Mudd14 Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    They are used alot in the hotel inductry also when staff are paid based on output. As guarenteed rooms/hours cannot be given they operate under zero hour contracts so the employer is under no obligation to offer work to employees at quiet times.
  • tanith
    edited 21 July 2009 at 2:12PM
    Options
    Thanks for the input, he has already started and this week has been given some shifts adding up to 15hrs but they said they may have another shift at the weekend. My question about JSA still stands though.. if he gets no shifts then he has no money... can he still sign on? but tell them he is working? with limited hours... they can't say how many hours they will be giving him.. its a quandary as he really wants to work but if they don't have any work for him one week he is up the creek without a paddle...

EDIT : I do now understand the zero hours thing but don't know what to advise as to signing off JSA? He would prefer to be working than on JSA of course but can't manage without any money at all..

• ferien_uk
    ferien_uk Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    tanith wrote: »
    Thanks for the input, he has already started and this week has been given some shifts adding up to 15hrs but they said they may have another shift at the weekend. My question about JSA still stands though.. if he gets no shifts then he has no money... can he still sign on? but tell them he is working? with limited hours... they can't say how many hours they will be giving him.. its a quandary as he really wants to work but if they don't have any work for him one week he is up the creek without a paddle...

EDIT : I do now understand the zero hours thing but don't know what to advise as to signing off JSA? He would prefer to be working than on JSA of course but can't manage without any money at all..

He can work up to 16 hours and still get JSA. He'd probably need to let them know the situation and then they would reassess his claim.
  • brians_daughter
    brians_daughter Posts: 2,148 Forumite
    Options
    i have had zero hour contract before. some weeks i could work 45 hours, others 15 or so, i dont ever think i came across a week where i actually had zero hours tho... he is best speaking to the employer and asking for 'sample' rotas etc so he can gauge HISTORICALLY what hours have been offered
  • tanith
    Options
    Thanks everyone its clearer now... they don't actually have a 'rota' everyone just seems to be called in as and when they don't seem to know from one day to the next what they are doing.. they might call you to see if you are available at really short notice if busy..

I guess he'll just have to tell JSA what he is doing , maybe show them the contract and take it from there... thanks everyone

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure