Fitness First - were they trying to con me?

Options
I've been wanting to join a gym for ages, and there is a Fitness First and within 5 mins walk of home, so this seemed ideal.

I went in at the weekend to speak to them, saying I wanted access at peak times and they initially offered me £25.95 a month on a 12 month contract. I said I might think about it, and they then offered me £19.95 a month. They gave me a free pass for the next day so I could try it out before deciding.

After the free trial, I decided to join, as at that price it is the cheapest around, but then I was told that the £19.95 was only for off-peak membership, "but don't worry, I'll make sure there is a note on your file saying you are allowed access any time" This seemed really dodgy, especially when she brought me the membership agreement to sign, where she had ticked "off-peak only". I told her I wouldn't sign it unless it stated in writing that I would have anytime access. She told me she couldn't do that, but kept reassuring me that it was fine - she would make sure I could still use it at peak times. At that point I left without signing as it seemed really dodgy to me. I was told that the sales manager can do this if that is what it takes to get someone to join, but if that were an official policy, surely there would be a way of noting this in the contract?

Instead I went to Total Fitness where I managed to get a 12 month contract for £295, which really seemed quite good!

Comments

• underlay_guru
    underlay_guru Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2009 at 12:51PM
    Options
    So you have walked away from an offer of £19.95 a month and went for another gym which is £24.58 a month?

Fitness First have 'pretended' to bend the rules for you. This is a well-known sales technique: It makes member feel special because they have been given a special, unpromoted discount. I know this because they did exactly the same to me: When I was about to walk out they offered me a 'staff discount'...which worked out at..guess what? A rolling contract of £19.95 a month, which is incredibly cheap for a gym as reputable as Fitness First.

I would have signed straight away if I were you!
    Profit=sanity
    Turnover=vanity
    Greed=inhumanity:dance:
  • seanm99
    seanm99 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I know it was more expensive, but the facilities are much better - Fitness First doesn't even have a pool. Plus it didn't sound like it could be a scam.
  • underlay_guru
    underlay_guru Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fair play if you have subscribed with another gym with better facilities.

Again, it sounds as if this is regular practice for fitness first.
    Profit=sanity
    Turnover=vanity
    Greed=inhumanity:dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills