Job interview on Friday!!!!- What should I wear??

Options
Hello All- to my delight (and horror!) I have just been told I am through the the interview stage of a job I applied for and the interview will take place on Friday!
My dilemma is: I have a sort of 'uniform' that I use for job interviews- pinstripe trousers, white shirt, black shoes, very proper and neutral... impersonal. The company I work for has a smart/casual dress code and I normally come to work in jeans and t-shirts. Only senior managers wear suits and many not even that (TV execs wear their Converse proudly). But this would be a big promotion for me and while the job is still creative and relaxed in the dress-code I want to be taken seriously. Another thing is that at least one of the people in the panel knows me and has worked with me, so I don't want to appear as if I am in facy dress!! What to do? Making an effort for me means wearing my Doctor Martin's with a bit of make up and a nice top... I am tempted to go and buy something but I know for a fact I have what I need (must have, anyway, haven't looked properly in my wardrobe for ages!!) How can I appear professional and deserving of the promotion without stopping being myself??

Comments

• minerva_windsong
    Options
    Personally I've always been taught to dress smartly for an interview and then use the time to see what other staff wear in order to scope out the dress code. However the useful tip I've always been told is to wear something colourful as it makes you stand out - chances are in a sea of black suits and white shirts interviewers are more likely to remember you as 'the person with the red jumper/pink shirt etc'. If it's a creative environment as well chances are that individualisation of your outfit will help too.

HTH and best of luck!
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • londoner1998
    Options
    Thank you Minerva
    did you read my mind? I have a gorgeous top that I bought in India in December- it is a strong dark orange/copper colour ... it looks very smart and I get tons of compliments while wearing it- just the other day my boyfriend said to me ' that colous really suits you!' I think I will feel more confident wearing this than my 'interview' white shirt... not really me. A little voice inside me is saying: don't be silly- the guy interviewing knows you and you never ever wear this boring clothes at work!. I think I might treat myself to a haircut but other than that... jeans probably not a very good idea...not sure about this bit though...
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    According to an article I read recently, no visible bra straps, no mini-skirts and no cleavage on show. The writer of the article complained that too many female interviewees were dressing as if for a hen-party!!!

Wear your trousers but with a coloured top, if that gives you confidence.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • londoner1998
    Options
    Good thing about the Indian clothes I brought back with me is the modesty...lovely necklines and not an inch of anything resembling cleavage in sight...I might look around for a nice pair of (affordable) trousers... but my gut feeling is that they wouldn't be too bothered about the jeans/no jeans issue...may be darker/smarter jeans?
  • katieclampet
    Options
    Hi, the best bit of advice I ever got was "dress for the job your want, not the job you've got". I would wear smart (dark) jeans or trousers, and the orange top you mentioned (it sounds lovely, and you feel good in it.) And definitely get a hair cut, if you feel great you will be more confident,

good luck, katiex
  • Mrs_P_Pincher
    Options
    I've just been on a development course and we were told that for an interview you should 'dress up', so if the usual dress code is casual, go smart casual for interview and if the usual dress code is smart casual, go smart etc etc.

Mrs P P
    "Keep your dreams as clean as silver..." John Stewart (1939-2008)
  • londoner1998
    londoner1998 Posts: 800 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2009 at 1:15PM
    Options
    What does a 'Assistant Content Producer- Metadata' wear to work??:rolleyes:
    I have seen managers that were complete scruffs interviewing people and I work with someone that looks like she came out of 'Mad men' every single day... lovely clothes but a bit stuffy and over the top in our office ... this is a bizarre place indeed (clue- it is not a private company, is public and you get all sorts...).
    Also, manicure my short fingernails (neutral, f course) and smile a lot...:cool:
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    If you don't have time to manicure, buff them - gives a fab shine and can be done on the bus / tube! It's also quite therapeutic :)

I would go with the dark trousers / jeans, smarter shoes & your orangey top (it sounds fab!) and your haircut :)
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i would wear your best underwear and nothing else then when they ask you why you could say well when i was preparing for this intevriw i was told to imagine you were all in your underwear and i dindt want to appear over dressed

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, what industry do you work in - sounds similar to mine?

We're completely casual for work - read my posts in the 'what are you wearing' threads and you'll see the kind of outfits I go for! I started this job 3 months ago and although it was the same job as my previous one, it was a big step up (like yours) and I wanted to make a good impression without fading into the background. I wore dark, straight-leg jeans (brand new, no rips or fading or anything) with a loose brown jersey top with lace around the neckline and a lace corsage and a long dusky pink cardigan. I wore a big brown leather belt and a fine, long gold necklace. To top it all off I wore bright green heels! Might sound a bit strange but looked great. Must've worked as well because I got the job!

I say wear something that makes you feel comfortable - a smarter version of your normal clothing. I really hate black trousers so would stay away - what about some tailored, knee length shorts with pumps and a bright top?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure