who owes me my money???

Options
A couple of weeks ago i worked out how much tax and ni was deducted out of my pay and the figures just didn't add up, my employer was paying less money into my bank than what my net pay is and have been doing so for the past 3 years. I know i should have really known this already but i don't get a payslip and just took it that my employer knew what they were doing.

Anyway i brought the subject up with them and after a very uncomfortable 2 weeks they have given me the underpayment for Apr09 till now. They said their accountant has said i have been paying too much tax, but i have been through my p60's with the Inland Revenue and they said i'd paid the correct amount. I told my employer this but they still insist that it's the taxman that owes me and not them.

Surely if the figures on all my p60's are correct then it's my employers that have made the mistake and should pay me the underpayment but they're trying to get out of it.

Hope someone can help. x

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    HMRC can only go by the figures on your P60's - these are your employer's figures from the wages records and not the responsibility of HMRC.
    I suggest you write to your employer setting out the amounts by which you consider you have been underpaid and giving them 14 days to rectify the matter before you take them to an ET for unlawful deductions from wages.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • CLR813
    CLR813 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks fengirl, i thought i was right in thinking it's their mistake so it's them that should pay it back. xx
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Take a look at this to help in your calculations as it goes back for several tax years:

Calculator
  • CLR813
    Options
    floss2 this is what i used to calculate my deductions, it's a fantastic site. thanks anyway.
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    No doubt your forgetting something like your pension or a benefit in kind
  • CLR813
    Options
    I don't pay anything towards a pension or benefit. It's only a small business that i work for. I get a basic wage every week and the only things that should be deducted are my tax and ni.
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    You really should be getting payslips. They show your tax code and various amounts net & gross to date, You can pick up errors when they occur. It is always a good idea to calculate how much tax & NI you think you should pay, and check this against the payslip. I am sure that you will be doing this in the future!

Employers are only human and make mistakes, or they may even be deliberately underpaying.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• schneckster
    schneckster Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Isn't it part of employment law that payslips are provided? How else can an employee spot these sorts of mistakes, otherwise?
  • CLR813
    Options
    From now on i will be making sure i know exactly what my tax and ni deductions are!

I kind of knew my employer before i started working for them so took it that they would be fair and honest. I do think it is a genuine mistake but they should have spotted it a long time ago really, they also never changed my wage when the tax codes changed, they did on my p60's just never changed my pay.
    I didn't really understand how it all worked with tax codes, tax and ni, but iv'e made sure i'm clued up on it all now.

I'll be glad when it's all sorted out these past 2 weeks have been a nightmare and i've been made to feel like i've done something wrong by asking for the money i worked for.
  • jenhug
    jenhug Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    Options
    May I ask how much do you think you are owed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure