We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

3 quick questions about getting a mortgage

3 quick ones.

1. I'm divorced sold the previous property that had with the EX no profit from it would I be classed as a 1st time buyer again?

2. As I've changed address's a few times since divorce my credit score is a bit pants sitting around the 560 mark was 100% before hand never defaulted on loans etc waiting for a couple of credit searches to drop off in Sept before applying however if my score didn't go up off it's own accord would I be able to obtain a mortgage if I had a guarantor? Should have problems meeting the payments of what I'm looking to borrow.

3. I've seen a property and they are offering £5k cash back on the asking price could I use this towards a deposit?

Comments

  • Mrs_Bumble
    Mrs_Bumble Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    Do you have any deposit saved?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Should be able to put down around 5K got a few assests that I can sell to get the deposit pretty quick
  • Mrs_Bumble
    Mrs_Bumble Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    You are going to need a deposit of at least 10% of the house value to secure a mortgage in the current market. Plus having funds available for solicitor costs etc.

    The £5K cashback would only be paid over on completion I suspect or after, you will need to check the terms with the estate agents.

    Speak to an independent broker when you are ready who can help you find a lender that won't solely make their decision on a credit score alone.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • brettarider
    brettarider Posts: 31 Forumite
    The money I could put down would be around the 10% not a des res I'm afraid but not to bad either beggers some times cant be choosers:D
  • Mrs_Bumble
    Mrs_Bumble Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    Just goes to show how much house prices vary across the country :)

    Good luck!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.