To tip or not to tip ?

Options
My daughter has given me £25 with strict instructions that I'm to spend it on a beauty salon 'treat' and I want to go and have a pedicure which will cost about that. But I have always hated doing things like that because I spend the whole time worrying about whether I should tip the nice lady or not. Please can a sensible person tell me a) whether I should tip her, and if so b) how much. In the past I have always just stupidly overtipped, and then felt poor and resentful. What would you wise people do please ?

Comments

• lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the therapist is employed by the salon I tip 10% as it is easy to work out. However if it is the owner, or someone who rents a room or works from home I do not tip as they set the prices and I do not feel I have to tip on top.

Do look in your local paper for people who work from home as they are usually very enthusiastic and friendly.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    lolly5648 wrote: »
    . However if it is the owner, or someone who rents a room or works from home I do not tip as they set the prices and I do not feel I have to tip on top.

Yes, this is the tipping etiquette as I understand it too. :)
  • NoAngel
    NoAngel Posts: 774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is interesting as I go every month for legs waxing and always wonder whether or not to tip. But they sometimes give me a student diso!!!! and that makes me decide I don't need to tip. Still feel a bit awkward though. And it's the owner that does it too so obviously I'm 'right' not to.
  • FelinePrincess
    FelinePrincess Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    Both my hairdresser and my nail technician work from home, for some reason I always tip my hairdresser but never my nail technician. I think I never tip my nails lady as when I first started getting my nails done it never occurred to me to tip, but I was felt that tipping the hairdresser was the done thing.

Although I would say only tip if you want to, if you are really happy with the service then leave a tip but if leaving a tip is going to make you feel poor and resentful don't do it as this defeats the object of going to the salon - you are supposed to leave feeling nice and happy!

Feline Princess
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    If the salon boss does my threading, I don't tip. If one of her 'girls' does it, I tip about £2 - £3. When I get my hair done, if one person does everything and she's nice (and not the boss), I'll go up to £5. I'll do £3 to the girl that washes my hair if I get the boss or someone I don't really like doing the cutting.

So if I were you, I'd decide in advance and take in about £5 in coins, so that you can tip the main person £3 and the junior £2 if you feel she has earned it as well.

I have no idea if that's the going rate, but it seems fair to me.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • thatsfabulous
    thatsfabulous Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Options
    If the salon boss does my threading, I don't tip. If one of her 'girls' does it, I tip about £2 - £3. When I get my hair done, if one person does everything and she's nice (and not the boss), I'll go up to £5. I'll do £3 to the girl that washes my hair if I get the boss or someone I don't really like doing the cutting.

So if I were you, I'd decide in advance and take in about £5 in coins, so that you can tip the main person £3 and the junior £2 if you feel she has earned it as well.

I have no idea if that's the going rate, but it seems fair to me.
    £5 wow i bet they love it when you come.lol

If your going to tip someone for nails i think £2 is a decent amount and is enough. At the end of the day if they dont appreciate it then there ungreatful.

I dont get tips in my job and many many other people in there profession so dont i dont think that you SHOULD tip with hair/ nails its just upto the individual. Theres always people who do tip and always people who dont so it prob evens it out.
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    £5 wow i bet they love it when you come.lol

If your going to tip someone for nails i think £2 is a decent amount and is enough. At the end of the day if they dont appreciate it then there ungreatful.

I dont get tips in my job and many many other people in there profession so dont i dont think that you SHOULD tip with hair/ nails its just upto the individual. Theres always people who do tip and always people who dont so it prob evens it out.

You mean I'm overdoing it? Did notice I always get 110% attention - hoped it was just my cheerful disposition and winning smile...:D
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • piratefairy
    piratefairy Posts: 4,342 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, I must admit that it had never even occurred to me to tip hairdressers etc..I don't get my hair done professionally very often - usually my friend does it, but now I feel guilty!! :(
  • NoAngel
    NoAngel Posts: 774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow, I must admit that it had never even occurred to me to tip hairdressers etc..I don't get my hair done professionally very often - usually my friend does it, but now I feel guilty!! :(

Don't feel guilty!! You pay for the service, the hairdresser is getting paid! I don't tip as after paying £35-40 to get my hair cut, I'm usually feeling poor enough.
  • piratefairy
    piratefairy Posts: 4,342 Forumite
    Options
    NoAngel wrote: »
    Don't feel guilty!! You pay for the service, the hairdresser is getting paid! I don't tip as after paying £35-40 to get my hair cut, I'm usually feeling poor enough.

Thanks, I feel a bit better now, I guess it's not a requirement, but surprises me that the majority of people seem to (on here anyway)..not that it really is that relevant, as I said, usually my friend and I do each others' so it's not exactly a spend..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure