Advice for my sister please

Options
My sister just made redundant after 24 years working in solicitors doing conveyancing work.
Another solicitor has got in touch and desperately wants her to help for two weeks in one of their offices.
She wants to know how that effects her "dole" money? She desperately wants another job and there may be more work with this solicitors in the future.
But do you have to "sign" on and off if you get casual work and is it a lot of hassle?
Necklace, £500, Marquee, Tickets Home Improv show, Patternity Tights.tickets to Cruise Show,kindle cover, 2 tickets Brisfest. Tin of personalised chocolates.Hawking DVD, McCain voucher, clay modelling set,Chocolate, Book,Raleigh 125th Book.
tickets to Gadget show, Hotel Spa break for 2 + £300

Comments

• zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes she would have to sign off. I don't know how much hassle it would be - someone will be along soon to tell you about that, I'm sure.

Just wanted to say, though - if she wants to do this job, she should think carefully before turning it down as it may lead to other work, if not with this firm, then maybe with other firms who she'd be speaking to in the normal course of her work.

Good luck to her! :beer:
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • dan_essex
    dan_essex Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    johnswife wrote: »
    My sister just made redundant after 24 years working in solicitors doing conveyancing work.
    Another solicitor has got in touch and desperately wants her to help for two weeks in one of their offices.
    She wants to know how that effects her "dole" money? She desperately wants another job and there may be more work with this solicitors in the future.
    But do you have to "sign" on and off if you get casual work and is it a lot of hassle?

tell her to take the job! Those 2 weeks could lead to more work, or another job.
  • johnaka
    johnaka Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    like zzzLazyDaisy say..... grab it with both hands.
    it take 5 minutes to sign off no hassle at all.
    I did just to go on hols abroad for aweek.
  • johnswife
    johnswife Posts: 1,745 Forumite
    edited 19 July 2009 at 11:42PM
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. she only signed on 2 weeks ago and still has not received any money. She is finding it all a bit much to take in.

I will ring her tomorrow, thanks again.
    Necklace, £500, Marquee, Tickets Home Improv show, Patternity Tights.tickets to Cruise Show,kindle cover, 2 tickets Brisfest. Tin of personalised chocolates.Hawking DVD, McCain voucher, clay modelling set,Chocolate, Book,Raleigh 125th Book.
  • johnswife
    johnswife Posts: 1,745 Forumite
    Options
    Just thought I would update you with the situation.

My sister rang me last night to tell me that the solicitor had spoke to her and have about 6 weeks work for her, 2 weeks in an office 40mins away and possibly another 4 weeks in the local office about 15 mins away.
    She agreed to go and has woke up this morning with tummy bug which has struck about 8 members of our family. Hopefully she can go in a few days.

thanks again for your advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport