How to find out exam results?

Options
My husband can't remember what grades he got for his standard grade subjects. How can we find this out? We need to find out as most job applications ask for it? thanks

Comments

• hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    How old is your husband? Did he go on to get any other qualifications? As you say standard grades I assume you're in Scotland? Contact the SQA and they can send out replacements, this costs though.

I wouldn't have thought most jobs would care what grade you got when you were 16?

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • saving123
    saving123 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He left school and trained as a bricklayer but given the current climate he is going to have to start looking at other jobs not all bricklaying jobs. Will it be expensive to get copies of certificates? thanks again
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Replacement certificates from the SQA are £35 - link here:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/12664.html

I'm not entirely convinced that they will need to know actual grades to be honest, can he remember what subjects he took?

If he has been in another working position I think I'd make more emphasis on training that he has done for that, any certification he has from it, experience etc, rather than something he did when he was 16.

As an example, I'm 24 and when applying previously for part time jobs I have only ever put what subjects I took, and have never been asked for proofs.

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Visit http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/212.html - basically looks like £35/certificate. I don't know if that is £35/exam or whether all those taken at the same time appear on the same certificate.

I wouldn't myself pay for copies at this stage. If an employer wants to see them, offer to get copies but explain it will take a while.
  • 3plus1
    3plus1 Posts: 821 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if that is £35/exam or whether all those taken at the same time appear on the same certificate.

When I did my SGs/Highers/AHs, they all appeared on the same certificate. I imagine that's still the case.
    I wouldn't myself pay for copies at this stage. If an employer wants to see them, offer to get copies but explain it will take a while.

I would recommend paying now. Not because I think copies are necessary at this stage, but because the OP's OH doesn't know what grades he got. Most application forms require you to break down your grades and it would be incredibly easy for him to make a guess, get it wrong and come across as a liar. Not the best way to endear you to a potential employer...!
  • Golden_Anemone
    Golden_Anemone Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Options
    Does the school he attended still hold records? My A level certificate went missing and employers have since accepted a letter from the school signed by the principal stating the grades awarded from school records.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    saving123, how long ago was it your husband did the exams, if it was years ago then he shouldnt need the results
  • Crisp_£_note
    Crisp_£_note Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    Options
    I am now 37 and I can't even remeber when I left school let alone my grades :o Do they really actually check as what I took way back then were 'old school' qualifications and nothing live the NVQ's etc they have today theyre so out of date!

I know I have my original ceritifate somewhere (when I sat my main school exams in 6th Form GCSE's were all new and we felt like guinnea pigs as the 'mock exams' were O'levels!

Thanks to OP for a useful question it had never occured to me I might need proof one day :eek:

Thanks. :)
    Failure is only someone elses judgement.
    Without change there would be no butterflies.
    If its important to you, you'll find a way - if not, you'll find an excuse ! ~ Easy to say when you take money out of the equation!
  • orangeslimes
    Options
    Might be worth a shot contacting your local council archives (i know Edinburgh has some old school records- although as you say Standard Grades I am guessing your husband is not that old)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure