Help with Application form needed

Options
Hi everyone, need some help filling in some forms for volunteering work I am hoping to be starting soon.

On the back of the form it asks for references. I have one from an old work collegue who I've known for 5 years + but I am struggling to find another one.

When I went to the Job Centre on Friday I asked if I was able to use my SIL to be and they said they couldn't see a problem with it, but I now can. She's just gone to Zante for 2 weeks, so I don't really want to put her down on the form.

Who can I use? I've only lived down here for just over 2 years and the only people who I have been in contact with are relatives if you see what I mean.

I've been employed by 3 different employment agencies so nothing regular for 2 years.

OH suggested his mum and she's willing to do it, but I am not sure if I can

Can someone help me with this please? Who are the best people to use as references?

Also I have to fill in a CRB form and I am wanting to know if I have to declare the 6 points I had on my license which revoked it in 2004. I got the points for not having valid insurance and it went to court.

Do I put a mark in the unspent convictions box or not?

Sorry for the twenty questions, I just don't want to risk my chances of not getting this placement, as it will be beneficial to me in the long run as it's volunteering at the local hospital and I am currently applying for a course to get me into adult nursing.

Thank you in advance:T
Sealed Pot Challenge Member 1216 -
2011 Total - £526.62

2012 Total - £503.87

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    As an employer/volunteer manager, I wouldn't hold a lot of store by personal references - you are hardly likely to ask your worst enemy to supply a reference, are you? Why not approach your managers at the companies you have been a temp at?
    Your driving convictions should not stop you getting a volunteer placement, unless, of course, the role is as a driver.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • nunnygirl
    nunnygirl Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    It asks for people who have known me more than 2 years and the people at the employment agencies haven't, thats why I am a little reluctant to put them down
    2011 Total - £526.62

2012 Total - £503.87
  • bristol_pilot
    bristol_pilot Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    Options
    You can't put a friend or relative as a referee. It should be someone who could comment on your work (or voluntary work) or education. How long is it since you left school? - your old headteacher or teacher would do. Or tutor if you were at college / uni.
  • lamb7994
    lamb7994 Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The charity i work for will accept 2 people you know but not relatives for references when applying for voluntary work.

J
  • nunnygirl
    edited 19 July 2009 at 2:54PM
    Options
    It's been 8 years since I left school so I don't think I could do that as I don't think any of the teachers who taught me are still there

lamb7994, I can't think of anyone who I have known for 2 years or more that isn't a relative (or soon to be one)

I am really struggling with this after the Job centre told me I can use my sister in law. I thought it was too good to be true!!!
    2011 Total - £526.62

2012 Total - £503.87
  • bristol_pilot
    bristol_pilot Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    Options
    If the same headteacher is still there I would still ask.
  • nunnygirl
    Options
    He isn't unfortunately
    2011 Total - £526.62

2012 Total - £503.87
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You must have some friends that you have known for over 2 years. But you may have to explain that this will be a personal reference and not work related. Many people fall into this category e.g. if you have only ever worked for one employer (maybe for a short time or only in one department) or one of your previous employers no longer exists. I had to do this for my current job.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    nunnygirl wrote: »
    Also I have to fill in a CRB form and I am wanting to know if I have to declare the 6 points I had on my license which revoked it in 2004. I got the points for not having valid insurance and it went to court.

Do I put a mark in the unspent convictions box or not?

Yes put the driving offences down, because you went to court it's a criminal conviction. There is really no reason why they would stop you getting the job (others will tell you otherwise) What will stop you getting it is to not put them down they then see them when your crb comes back to them, they can then assume you were lying.

If the person on holiday is the best person to give you a reference just put them down. When will they request references, usually after interview and when they have offered you the job in a week or two sometimes more and they will be home then?
  • nunnygirl
    Options
    Ok so more confusing

Rang the Job Centre this morning and they told me not to use my SIL2B.....even though the lady there the other day said I could.

She suggested using my last employer, but I was only with them a month as the work dried up over Christmas and then the company went into administration so we weren't asked back.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and ask the lady who sent the form out, as this is the only way I am going to know for definate.

Thank you for all the help anyway
    2011 Total - £526.62

2012 Total - £503.87
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business