When to pay the caterer

Options
Hi all

Just wondering when people actually paid for their catering ??

Only asking because our caterer as asked to be paid upfront before the wedding (which I can understand so they can get all the food and everything), but my folks (who are paying for the food) are a bit wary of this and think they might do a runner and have no food for our reception.

What are other people's experiences??
Got married on 1st August :beer:

thank you to everyone on the weddings and anniversary forum xxx

Jayne x

Comments

• Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    My venue need the money the week before when we confirm numbers , I was planning to pay by credit card (which I'll pay straight off when the bill comes in) , it's also what I used to pay the deposit, not sure completely, but I thought that gave me some kind of protection if there were any problems. Which surely with your previous venues will not happen.
    Booo!!!
  • rinroo
    rinroo Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 July 2009 at 6:32PM
    Options
    We had to pay a deposit to secure £150, then they require 25% of the final balance 6 weeks before with the remaning balance to be paid the week before the wedding.

i think most, if not all companies require payment before hand.
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    My caterer needed 50% as a deposit last month and the final 50% plus some money to cover corkage 2 months before wedding(so thats due in 2 months time).
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • MsChazzer
    MsChazzer Posts: 701 Forumite
    Options
    We had to give 50% of the food costs a month before then they invoiced for everything else (rest of food, corkage, operational costs) afterwards.
    Got married 23rd May 2009, many thanks to all on the Weddings and Anniversaries board for their help and support!
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2009 at 12:58AM
    Options
    I paid a £5 deposit per head 6 months before when we booked, then the balance a fortnight before the wedding.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • Simstwins
    Simstwins Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Is it normal to pay for everything before the event? Or do you hold a bit back?

My daughter's wedding is in 6 weeks, and we are confirming numbers before the end of this month, and am then going on holiday for 2 weeks. Does the reception get paid for upon confirmation of numbers, along with the wine and welcome drinks, or is it done in dribs and drabs?

We are holding it at the local golf club, which is a new sideline for them too, so no-one seems particularly sure of what gets paid when - LOL!
  • shelovestobuystuff
    shelovestobuystuff Posts: 2,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 July 2009 at 11:44AM
    Options
    Most places need a small deposit to secure the date etc,then usually a further deposit per head or half payment once numbers are confirmed.Remainder usually 2 weeks -a month before the date.Some venues take the remainder of payment on the actual day but most need full payment a bit before.

I have just booked an anniversary party for next year,july, at a big hotel.The deposit to secure the facilities for the date is just £100 due now.Then we have to confirm numbers and pay 50% of the cost per head for the food early next year.Final payment of the remainder of the food bill plus a drinks package to be paid at least 4 weeks before the party date.

My wedding caterer needed 50% deposit on expected numbers when we booked,the remaining money with confirmation of actual numbers 2 months before wedding.Staff costs and corkage will be paid in advance too.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure