Can I get an earring made to match one I lost? Help!

Options
teaspoon1
teaspoon1 Posts: 295 Forumite
edited 17 July 2009 at 12:18PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
I hope you lovely people can help me. I lost a favourite earring the other day, retraced my steps 3 times but no luck. :cry::cry:

I still have the other one and was wondering - is it possible to get a new one custom made to match it? They're not expensive, just silver (or whatever metal looks like it) and a few tiny diamante stones in. I got them in H&M about 6 years ago so they weren't dear but they had sentimental value more than anything and I am so so upset at losing one of them.

If anyone knows how I could do this, I would be so grateful.

Comments

• whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Have a google for silversmiths, or contact your local college, they possibly run jewellery making courses and may be able to put you in touch with a student.

Have you tried Ebay? or Etsy? I think Etsy is more geared to designers/creative crafty people.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • horsechestnut
    horsechestnut Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Or have a pin fitted to the back of the remaining earring and make it into a broach.
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Katie-Kat-Kins Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    If they were H&M they probably aren't silver and you won't find anyone willing to make that sort of thing, and even if you did the price of the labour would outweigh the price of the earring.

If you don't fancy wearing it as a broach look out for a similar pair in the shops, or look into having a pair made that look the same but in actual precious metal.

If you are near birmingham the jewellery quarter have lots of jewellers who will make things to order, if not ask around your local independant jewellers for a manufacturing jeweler who will accept commissions for bespoke jewellery. You could have a pair done in silver and cubic zirconia, or if you are feeling flush in white gold and diamond!

It is probably better value to get some decent silver earrings if you wear them loads than to buy costume jewellery. Silver these days is so cheap I wonder why people bother with the alternative. It also doesn't discolour, stain your skin or irritate the same as cheap costume jewellery can do. Gold is even better.

Have a look in warren james for cheap jewellery in gold and silver. Also ebay, or half price jewellers, even next in the sales! Just check it is actually sterling silver or gold and not a look a like!
  • teaspoon1
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will try anything. Do you think if I wrote to H&M they could help me even though it is probably long out of stock?
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Katie-Kat-Kins Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    You could try but I would have thought they would have got rid of any surplus in a sale. Can you post a picture of the remaining one? Someone might be able to help. Also where do you live? Someone might be able to recommend a jeweller.
  • teaspoon1
    Options
    KatP, thanks for the suggestions. I don't mind paying a lot more than they originally cost. My late father bought them for me and I treasure them.
  • teaspoon1
    Options
    I will post a picture of the remaining one as well.
  • teaspoon1
    Options
    OK, I have tried to upload a pic but no luck so far. I will try again later (wqith OH help) and see if it works.
  • xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Can you put up some lost posters? What about contacting the local paper, they might run a litte story on it if they are short of news that week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure