We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sore legs when flying - suggestions?

Options
aliasojo
aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 17 July 2009 at 10:07AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Son is pretty fit and muscular, out of all of us he is the last one I would have expected to have any problems whilst flying but he suffers badly with pains in his legs when flying, especially long haul.

He's off on holiday again soon and I'm wondering if there's anything he can take to alleviate this? He has the compression socks that were pretty pricey and did nothing at all to help.

As soon as he's off the plane he's fine but last time he had a really hard time and nothing he did helped (getting up to walk to the toilet etc, trying to massage his legs etc). He said he felt close to tears at times and he's a 6 foot strapping lad who's not prone to being a baby, lol.

Would the Doc be able to give him anything if there was no over the counter product that would help? :confused: I really have no idea if there is anything out there for this kind of problem.

Edit: I should add that that the pain starts in his thighs and works down rather than 'just' being calf pain.
Herman - MP for all! :)

Comments

• ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/aviation/hci/hacc/departmentofhealthreportrevi2958?page=3

is this what you had in mind?

Consider paying more for extra leg room seat also, if he's 6ft tall then his long legs won't have room to move.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn't actually have anything in mind tbh. :) I don't know what's causing the pain, whether it's muscular or to do with his veins. :confused:

I don't know if it's common to have this. (You can tell I'm a seasoned flyer......not. :rotfl:)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • SugarSpun
    SugarSpun Posts: 8,559 Forumite
    Options
    It's more likely to be sitting cramped and still for long periods than it is to be his veins, if the flight socks didn't help. Tell him to walk around the cabin once every half hour, drink as much water as he can manage, and do stretches in his seat and in the galley area in the middle of the flight.

You can also Google "flight exercises" for things he can do while the seat belt sign is on, to stop the pain from starting while he's stuck in the seat.

A friend of mine's 6'6 and has the same problem - it's just a matter of making sure the legs aren't too confined for too long.
    Organised Birthdays and Christmas: Spend So Far: £193.75; Saved from RRP £963.76
    Three gifts left to buy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family