🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Latest Unemployment Figures - Grim!

Options
How does everybody feel about the latest unemployment figures?

To describe them in one word, I would say GRIM.

Is there any hope for ANY of us???

Comments

• staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,966 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes grim and will get worse before they get better. One of the symptoms of a recession.
    Is there any hope for ANY of us? Yes! We won't ALL get made redundant.
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
  • El_Rey
    El_Rey Posts: 404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The latest unemployment figures are most certainly "grim!"

The only thing you can do is keep looking for jobs and applying for them. Persistence will prevail - eventually!
  • Louise22
    Louise22 Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    Options
    It does sometimes feel that there is no way out, though.
  • reheat
    reheat Posts: 2,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lfcsja wrote: »
    The latest unemployment figures are most certainly "grim!"

The only thing you can do is keep looking for jobs and applying for them. Persistence will prevail - eventually!
    I can vouch for that - finally got a good job, but it's taken me getting on a year.
    Favours are returned ... Trust is earned
    Reality is an illusion ... don't knock it
    There's a fine line between faith and arrogance ... Heaven only knows where the line is
    Being like everyone else when it's right, is as important as being different when it's right
    The interpretation you're most likely to believe, is the one you most want to believe
  • reheat
    reheat Posts: 2,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Louise22 wrote: »
    It surely does doesn't it. But hang in there, and do whatever you can to improve your chances. If your CV's not getting you interviews, work on your CV. Or study something that will look good on your CV, even if it's self-taught at home. If you are getting interviews then work on interview technique maybe? Do stuff that helps you stay positive. Good luck.
    Favours are returned ... Trust is earned
    Reality is an illusion ... don't knock it
    There's a fine line between faith and arrogance ... Heaven only knows where the line is
    Being like everyone else when it's right, is as important as being different when it's right
    The interpretation you're most likely to believe, is the one you most want to believe
  • El_Rey
    El_Rey Posts: 404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Louise22 wrote: »

It certainly does. Unemployment is not a pleasant experience at all. The only advice I can give you is to keep on trying, you will get something - eventually. What sort of work would you like to do?
  • Truegho
    Truegho Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for your reply to my posting re. the unemployment figures. You asked what kind of work I am looking for. Well, my field is admin, as I have many years of Civil Service office experience. Have worked for the DWP four times - three as a casual, and once as a permanent AO (although I was forced to resign as it was call centre work and they could not give me a transfer to a more admin based role). Have applied to the DWP for reinstatement, but have been rejected on the grounds that I was only there two months in the call centre (needs to be one year).

Oh, and I suppose you know the HORRENDOUS saga I have been suffering in relation to my missing DWP job interview papers going missing? After TEN WHOLE weeks of making numerous phone calls to both DWP HR at Newcastle and CAPITA, with still no clues as to where my papers are, I am now feeling utterly SICK TO MY STOMACH with frustration and anger and despondency.

Can anybody advise me if I have any legal rights here? Should I go to an employment solicitor?

lfcsja wrote: »
    It certainly does. Unemployment is not a pleasant experience at all. The only advice I can give you is to keep on trying, you will get something - eventually. What sort of work would you like to do?
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Truegho wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks for your reply to my posting re. the unemployment figures. You asked what kind of work I am looking for. Well, my field is admin, as I have many years of Civil Service office experience. Have worked for the DWP four times - three as a casual, and once as a permanent AO (although I was forced to resign as it was call centre work and they could not give me a transfer to a more admin based role). Have applied to the DWP for reinstatement, but have been rejected on the grounds that I was only there two months in the call centre (needs to be one year).

Oh, and I suppose you know the HORRENDOUS saga I have been suffering in relation to my missing DWP job interview papers going missing? After TEN WHOLE weeks of making numerous phone calls to both DWP HR at Newcastle and CAPITA, with still no clues as to where my papers are, I am now feeling utterly SICK TO MY STOMACH with frustration and anger and despondency.

Can anybody advise me if I have any legal rights here? Should I go to an employment solicitor?

Sorry to sound blunt but you have now started a new post and trying to get the same question answered:confused:

I do understand you are fed up but in all honesty if you were entitled to be reinstated you would have to go back to the same job.
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    awful and will get worse. i went back to bar work.

shockingly i enjoy it. minimum wage but i have bills and debt and cant survive on zero. ill stay until market picks back up.
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    Options
    You just have to take what is out there to be honest. I'm not naturally a night person, but now I am working until 10pm or 11pm, not ideal, but a job is a job, and I do actually enjoy it.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts