We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Would like to buy a new Macbook

On my wishlist is a new MacBook cause it can also now run WindowsXP

Problem is its £1700 and just wondering AM I MAD? I would def need to have either a finance deal or a credit card with 0%.

Anyone got any clues ideas comments?

Comments

  • girders
    girders Posts: 93
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    Best thing you can do is wait a while. The Mac laptops available at the moment are the Macbook Pro (new Intel based replacement for the older Powerbooks) and the iBooks which are non Intel G4 based chips which will not boot Windows XP. These iBooks are due to be replaced "soon" with new Intel based "consumer" laptops i.e. lower specification than the Macbook Pro. No one is really sure when they will be launched but May seems to be a popular bet. If you don't need a really top speed machine then the iBook replacement might do you very nicely and save you a few pounds as I'd expect it to come in around £900 - £1100 depending on spec. (The iBooks these replace are currently £700 & £900 but those prices do reflect that these are older machines so we can expect a bit of a price jump for the new ones).

    Whatever you do I'm sure you'll love your new laptop - I managed to get a bargain on a G4 iBook a couple of months back and it's a joy to use.
  • taff007
    taff007 Posts: 108 Forumite
    I'm in the same boat (as I'm sure many are). So many times I've almost bought a 'reasonably' priced Dell laptop but decided to wait a little while longer in case Apple decide to bring out their new ibook (or macbook). I'll probably wait a couple more months then look elsewhere.

    On my regular trawls of the internet I have noticed a company called Appleworld (appleworld.co.uk) who offer 12 months interest free credit on new purchases. I've never used them so does anybody have any feedback/previous experience of the company?
  • xycom1
    xycom1 Posts: 784 Forumite
    Yes, definitely wait for the range to expand and more options to become available - I know that I for one wouldn't want a 15" laptop (I used to have a 12" PowerBook) so if you want (or don't mind) a slightly smaller machine, then it could definitely be worth your while waiting for the cheaper and smaller machines coming.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.