We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Buy Buy Buy!

I've got to change my mind set and wondering if any money savers here can help me.

I'm not a big spender but i do like shopping. I've got some belief systems in my head such as 'you've got to treat yourself occasionally,' and 'you work hard you might as well buy something and have something to show for it,' and 'everyone else is spending a lot more than you, so you can afford this one little thing.'

Thing is i've got one friend who's really thrifty and when i see her i always feel that i've wasted money, even when i've done well compared to my other friends.

I don't know whether i need to change my thinking or not. I'm not concerned with my buying, it's not out of hand or anything and it is controlled.....it's just that obviously i could save more if i bought nothing (like my thrifty friend). The only thing is thrifty friend buys herself a handbag for 6 pounds and i don't want to have stuff like that always, sometimes i want a real leather bag, etc....

What do you think?

Part of me thinks that i should buy things occasionally because life must have some rewards.....and also by having things i'm not depriving myself which could lead to a mad spend out. The other part of me thinks that if i didn't buy certain things i would have the money and could save it. I'm saving anyway, but i could save more........am i just being penny pinching, or am i right. I don't want to be too tight because i'm only young once.......so interested in what your thoughts are on this?

thanks! :-)

Comments

  • Slayerx
    Slayerx Posts: 1,285
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Your right to an extent, lifes too short to be thrifty all the time and it feels nice to treat yourself, always ask yourself though do I really need this?

    I always like to buy expensive things but since been unemployed I have really had to cut back but it hasn't bothered me too much and I hope once I start work again I will keep the same mentality but still treat myself once every so often.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 065
  • It's good to be thrifty during everyday living and then have a blowout now and again to purchase that special item, otherwise whats the point of saving. (as long as you're not running up a debt to purchase that reward).

    For example I save money where I can; I use 18866/Viop etc, use the cheapest gas/electric suppliers, use quidco and all the vouchers I can find so that I can justify buying the nicer thing in life (new Plasm a, holiday to Hawaii .... ) :j

    - Dop
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Personally speaking, I dont buy myself anything unless its literally essential. But then im in debt, and every penny I spend is taken away from clearing the debt really. I have to NEED those shoes, trousers etc.

    Why not hit a compromise and hunt out your factory outlets? My sister got a calvin klein coat ( so jealous its GORGEOUS and fits me perfectly;) ) for £40 at outlet village. Shes constantly buying designer bags, jewelry etc for a fraction of the department store price.

    Having seen how much the prices are at outlet village never IN MY LIFE would I ever pay full wack for next/gap/ nike/calvin klein/ etc, when they are a fraction of the cost in
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Follow the tips on this board, save yourself some money, then SPEND it on what you want!!

    There's no rule that says you have to keep it and that way it's (kind of) cost you nothing.

    Besides, you are helping to keep the economy ticking over :)
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    so long as you can afford your little treats/luxuries, and they're not bought on the never never, then I would go for it - as I often say to my mum, shrouds don't have pockets.

    Both my in-laws worked damned hard all their lives and both of them never fully reaped the benefits before they died; the same goes for my grandparents.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

    2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • dora37
    dora37 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    I'm not in debt and lead a comfortable lifestyle - however after discovering MSE have changed some of my financial outlook.

    I still buy nice things when I want them - but I do think whether I really really want it before I buy it and I also look for the best price for it.

    I do still get some treats from M&S Food Hall, however I also buy a lot of the basics from Aldi.

    I have also 'trained' myself to use food up rather than throwing away and to use things up that we have plenty of before buying more. This for me is not about saving money, however it is about being in control of whats in my cupboard - being able to open it and see whats in there!! (previously it was like playing jenga!)

    By reading Old Style my family eat much much healthier than they ever have -and again this wasn't about saving money it was about changing my mindset towards family meals.

    I still have my ironing done by somebody else - however I do not now buy a 10 different cleaning products - I now just buy washing liquid and vinegar)

    I do still save money, however now I look for the best interest I can get on those savings.

    Money saving is not just necessarily about being in debt (though for a lot it is) - Money saving for me personally is making the money I have go further, being in control of my finances and still living the comfortable lifestyle that I want to.

    I like the feeling that I am more organised now regarding finances and keeping house than I ever have been, which inturn has a positive knock on effect to the rest of the family!

    My thoughts anyway!!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.