is borrowing for BTL easier?

I have heard and recently read in the press, that some mortgage lenders are being less restrictive in their BTL terms, in light of the recent slowdown in lending.

I was wondering how true this was. How much more easy is it these days to start a BTL portfolio of one or more properties with no money or a gifted deposit or £25k in savings.

Regards
"enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb

Comments

• payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    lenders usually ask 15-25% deposit ( although one now reduced to 13%)

Mostly lenders are looking for rental yield of around average 7.5% ( same across portfolio) often depends on product taken. ( again 1 now looking at only 6%)

Most ( but not all) also expect to see applicant has other earnings
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • dougk_2
    dougk_2 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Bristol and West appears to be one of the lenders that makes things quite easy but you need 25% deposit (I think). They don't ask too many questions and you need to make 130% of the mortgage intrest in rent.

At their fixed rate of 5.59% that means you need to clear about 575 per month for a 100k Mortgage.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    They will lend upto 85%, however less restrictive criteria at 75%
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    thanks for the replies. interesting.

I think the NR are offering 87% LTV, but I understand that you would be paying a premium rate for the extra 2% LTV; probably not worth it.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport