Free Parking space search (merged)

Comments

• zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    .... and your connection with the site is....?
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • BostonMan
    BostonMan Posts: 12 Forumite
    I was not impressed. Try entering shopping and Leeds - the free parking times are just nonsense for shopping.
  • Joe_Rossi
    Joe_Rossi Posts: 10 Forumite
    .... and your connection with the site is....?

errr...none...what is yours?
  • Joe_Rossi
    edited 8 July 2009 at 1:59PM
    yes, that's the one..£1.50 to park all day sounds like a good deal to me.

Just look at the two sites..I know which one I would trust..
  • tobyg
    tobyg Posts: 2 Newbie
    Although this service may seem helpful for those out of town, it has a severely negative affect on those of use that actually live in these streets. The net result is that we can no longer park outside of our own homes as people who work in the city or use the railway station now selfishly take EVERY available parking space. And when you have two children and shopping to transport from your car to your front door, having to park several streets away is not as trivial as it sounds :mad:

And yes, I know that we all pay road tax and therefore have a 'right' to park anywhere legal - unfortunately peoples' so called rights seem to take over their sense of thoughtfulness these days. You see that when a car is parked over what would be two spaces or left there for someone's holiday. Some even park in front of residents' driveways. I've no problem with genuine visitors to the street parking wherever, but when it's used to solve local companies' lack of on site parking in town or advertised by sites like this as free parking for shopping, then it's a real issue. A bit like publishing rat-runs as an alternative to main routes into town. And this posting and feature within the Tips email will only make the issue worse. Thanks for nothing...I look forward to even more traffic in my road further reducing my family's quality of life.
  • Joe_Rossi
    tobyg wrote: »
    Although this service may seem helpful for those out of town, it has a severely negative affect on those of use that actually live in these streets. The net result is that we can no longer park outside of our own homes as people who work in the city or use the railway station now selfishly take EVERY available parking space. And when you have two children and shopping to transport from your car to your front door, having to park several streets away is not as trivial as it sounds :mad:

And yes, I know that we all pay road tax and therefore have a 'right' to park anywhere legal - unfortunately peoples' so called rights seem to take over their sense of thoughtfulness these days. You see that when a car is parked over what would be two spaces or left there for someone's holiday. Some even park in front of residents' driveways. I've no problem with genuine visitors to the street parking wherever, but when it's used to solve local companies' lack of on site parking in town or advertised by sites like this as free parking for shopping, then it's a real issue. A bit like publishing rat-runs as an alternative to main routes into town. And this posting and feature within the Tips email will only make the issue worse. Thanks for nothing...I look forward to even more traffic in my road further reducing my family's quality of life.

I can understand that view, especially if you live near a railway station. But if you do, then surely parking is already an issue. Stupid parking and illegal parking over someone's driveway are unacceptable and should be punished accordingly, but if a road has no restrictions you can't expect people (commuters or visitors) from using the spaces. Maybe you and your fellow residents should lobby the council to put restrictions on your road...
  • Joe_Rossi
    movilogo wrote: »
    All your posts in this site are promoting freetopark site. So we know whom to trust anyway :rotfl:

Hope people using your paid service update freeparkingspace data so that we don't need to pay £1.50. :cool:

Well, as you put the first post up I assume it is your service you are promoting too.

It's true, I am recommending one site over another, but why do you assume its my site? what happened to the ability to review two competing services? I have looked at both sites, and although one charges £1.50 it appears to me to be a much better service. There will always be people who would rather pay nothing and they will take their chances with the other site I guess.

I was just making the point that if you know that some information in their database is complete rubbish ( as I know from checking my local area) then why would you trust the information in an unknown area you may be visiting?
  • tobyg
    tobyg Posts: 2 Newbie
    Joe_Rossi wrote: »
    I can understand that view, especially if you live near a railway station. But if you do, then surely parking is already an issue. Stupid parking and illegal parking over someone's driveway are unacceptable and should be punished accordingly, but if a road has no restrictions you can't expect people (commuters or visitors) from using the spaces. Maybe you and your fellow residents should lobby the council to put restrictions on your road...

Thanks Joe. Sadly this is not the case; I have live here for 10 years and parking was never an issue until 18 months ago a local major employer HSBC provided their employees with a list of roads where they can park for free. Now when I take my daughter to pre-school there are always cars literally queuing to take the space...and they all have work ID on and don't return until 5pm. My point is that sites like this one (above) will make matters even worse as our available parking is further advertised in the public domain.

Problem with asking for permit parking is 1) is costs residents money 2) we already give too much to our local council for little return and 3) if you have more that one visitor stay on that rare occasion like a party, then they cannot park either (usually get your own permit and one spare I believe). I also don't want to go through all that hassle and bureacracy just because a site like this has caused the problem.

Grrr.

But thanks for the reply though :o
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I have looked at both sites, and although one charges £1.50 it appears to me to be a much better service.

There you go! How do I know it really gives me a good service unless I part with my hard earned £1.50 in this economic downturn? It's easy to criticise free sites as you can look at their data and it doesn't cost money to see their data.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Joe_Rossi
    movilogo wrote: »
    There you go! How do I know it really gives me a good service unless I part with my hard earned £1.50 in this economic downturn? It's easy to criticise free sites as you can look at their data and it doesn't cost money to see their data.

lol, well there you go...no arguing with that position.

Before parting with your "hard earned" £1.50 you could read the other posts in the thread, not just mine, about what a good service it is.

Alternately you can use the free (and pointless) info about pay and display times and have to pay far more than £1.50 when you arrive at the parking location suggested.

Good plan!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport