Rosacea Help Please

Options
I have just been informed by my Dr. that this is what is causing my facial skin to be so awful. It has been a nightmare and is really stressing me out. He has recommended a course of oxy-tetracycline tablets. Just wondering if anyone else suffers with this. I understand it is very common. I would really love to hear from any other sufferers who have found any creams that work as it looks as if you could spend a fortune on products that may not work. I do use mineral makeup which helps to disguise the redness but does nothing for the dreaded breakouts.

Please help!:cry:

Comments

• Bayblue
    Bayblue Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Louby

If you do a search of the MSE forums you'll see that this is definitely a subject which has come up before. I know because I was re-reading the thread only the other day.

I have the condition so I do know a little bit about it. When it comes to what helps relieve it unfortunately it does seem to vary from person to person. I have found to my surprise that it's actually improved over the years, or maybe it's because I have learned to avoid the triggers. For me they are;

Very hot or very cold water on the face

Certain cosmetics and face products. I had to experiment and eliminate things, in the early days I found Aloe Vera gel was very soothing and I still keep some for emergencies. Nowadays I regularly use Simple cleansing wipes, a vitamin E moisturiser and No7 Colour Calming under makeup (which is a godsend)

Hot spicy food

Sunbathing and/or getting very overheated

Stress

And sadly...Alcohol, well- I do still indulge now and then -but I kow that it will be aggravating for it so I have cut right down.

I too tried antibiotics for quite while and IIRC I don't think that they made a huge amount of difference, but then like I said everyone is different.

They say that Rosacea is the 'curse of the fair skinned Celts' and I know that it can be very upsetting and irritating to cope with, not least because you often have people 'helpfully' telling you that 'you've gone all red', but it can be managed and tamed. And as I said mine has improved actually quite a lot over the years, so pleased don't feel too down about it.

Best of luck.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As Bayblu has said, theres a good few threads in this forum about Roseacea - and look at the mineral make up ones as well as a lot of sufferers use mineral make up because it covers and is soothing

I was put on the antibiotics and stopped after two weeks because of tummy troubles. And tbh I dont like taking tablets.

I keep mine under control with no alcohol, a very stark cleansing regime ( the OCM ) and as pure and as natural a cosmetic I can find.(mineral make up) Anything highly perfumed will irritate like mad
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I too have this and after a particulary bad outbreak came here to seek non-medical advice! The GP can offer other stuff like metrogel but I found it peels off in strips and was most unfriendly to use.

From these forums I have now started to use a mixture of coconut oil as an evening/night moisturiser (and taking in orally too) and Avene 'anti-redness rich moisurising cream' available from Boots. After only 3 days a colleague commented, yesterday, on how calm my skin looked.

Oh, and avoiding the lovely, relaxing and very tasty alcohol really really works too. :mad::mad:

I think it's a case of trying things which work for others and seeing which one works for you, everyone reacts differently.

Good luck though.
  • suki1964
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    I too have this and after a particulary bad outbreak came here to seek non-medical advice! The GP can offer other stuff like metrogel but I found it peels off in strips and was most unfriendly to use.

From these forums I have now started to use a mixture of coconut oil as an evening/night moisturiser (and taking in orally too) and Avene 'anti-redness rich moisurising cream' available from Boots. After only 3 days a colleague commented, yesterday, on how calm my skin looked.

Oh, and avoiding the lovely, relaxing and very tasty alcohol really really works too. :mad::mad:

I think it's a case of trying things which work for others and seeing which one works for you, everyone reacts differently.

Good luck though.

Gers you can get some really lovely alcohol free wines if you miss the whole ritual of having a drink. I love the Australian Fre Chardonnay an the merlot - both very very convincing
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Gers you can get some really lovely alcohol free wines if you miss the whole ritual of having a drink. I love the Australian Fre Chardonnay an the merlot - both very very convincing

Thanks for that! :beer: However, think I'm better off not having any at all, I used to enjoy the buzz that one/two glasses gave but have stopped drinking to follow a low carb diet. Alcohol will be around when I lose weight, I may not be around if I don't.

Face is still fab BTW!
  • suki1964
    Options
    ladies ( and gents) have any of you read the coconut oil thread?

Worth a look
  • homongsteve
    Options
    In Toronto city there be given best treatment you will be cured by Rosacea. There are more procedure and gives good results.[baywoodclinic.com/Toronto_Rosacea.html]
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry guys I reported spam but jsut for the last post.

I'm a fair skinned celt too :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport