I Have A Job Interview With Halfords Tomorrow And They Want Me To Build Them A Bike!

Options
Hello, I applied for a role at halfords, mainly bikes, I've never had a job before and this is my first call back, its been a year since I started looking. Now I know a fair amount of bikes, I have put one together and apart before, but I am worried, because I don't know the names of the tools and really worried they will give me a bike with stuff on them I never used before.Does anyone have any great videos and tips when doing this?

How much of the bike will I have to put together?

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought that the usual tools for putting a bike together are spanners (a spanner is basically a handle with a hook type opening on either end - think like a letter C). I wouldnt have thought that you would have used anything else.

Start with the frame, add wheels, seat, pedals, chain, handlebars, brakes - it sounds about right to me.

Try not to stress too much and I am sure you will do well.
  • Louise22
    Louise22 Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    Options
    I don't envy you! Think its important that you dont panic or you might forget how to do it, or do it wrong.

Best of luck, I am sure you will do grand.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 June 2009 at 8:13PM
    Options
    Do they know you have experience in this field? Are you applying for a level of job where you are expected to be able to put a bike together without training? If not you will probably get instructions and be expected to complete the task in a 'reasonable' amount of time.

Many years ago I applied for a training post in hospital pharmacy. We had a test, a long list of stuff to get off the shelf. Sounds easy until you realise it may as well be in a foreign language! As soon as I stopped panicking I realised the shelf and the list were both alphabetical. :rolleyes:

The reason I tell you this is that the following year (yes I got the job!) I was given the task of administering the same task with the next batch of interviewees. The only one to muck it up was someone with experience in pharmacy and a stinking attitude!! She didn't get the job ...

Don't panic, take your time and work methodically: it's better to get it right and be a little slow than to rush and appear slapdash. My brother used to work for Halfords - shop assistant at 17 to store manager eventually. IIRC Halfords take the safety of their customers pretty seriously and look for initiative and enthusiasm in their staff.

Edited to add: if you are nervous say so and take some deep breaths. I have never lost a job by excusing my nerves, they love that you want the job badly enough.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Nitro89
    Nitro89 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    are there any videos on this subject, so worried :( this is also my first interview ever lol
  • Nitro89
    Nitro89 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I read that already, thanks, I know most of that off by heart, but know very little about the headset and gears.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's your first interview ever tell the interviewer and tell them you are nervous to boot!! A bit of honesty goes a long way and they tend to be easier on you. I have only once failed to get a job I was interviewed for, and I am a naturally enthusiastic/ passionate person - those are the two words that are repeatedly used to describe me in a work situation. Be keen and be willing to learn whatever it is you don't know.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Naykon
    Naykon Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    try this site mate: http://bicycletutor.com/

everything you need to know...
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Options
    I am impressed with Halfords for having a practical aspect to their recruiting system.
  • firstpost
    firstpost Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck with the interview - I'm certain they will only be making sure that you are technically compotent and able to pick up new skills - its unlikely they will expect you to do anything obscure or know the correct names for all the tools. My favorite site for cycling related matter is sheldonbrown.com.

If you are unsure do not be afraid to ask even if it is just for confirmation the last thing any company needs is someone who thinks they know it all and are too arogant to seek advice from others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure