Getting fed up!!

Hi everyone, I usually share my partners username but just created my own because this post is regarding myself!

Anyway - I am 23, mummy to a 3 year old and desperate to get back to work! I gave work up when my little one was born in 2006 (I worked as an administrator and stock controller for the same company since age 16 - also did NVQ's with them and attended college between 2002-2004 whilst working part-time) I also did some work for Tesco (shelf filling) temporarily in 2007 to help with Xmas finances. I have 9 GCSE's grading from A-C aswell.

I have applied for countless jobs, had my first interview last week in months - I was SO nervous, I desperately wanted the job (it was ideal - night administrator) I got turned down because some of my answers during the interview were not as full as other applicants (I stupidly forgot to mention one part of the job description which I have been so annoyed at myself about since!!!)

So I am still applying for jobs, worried about childcare (my little one begins nursery in Sept, 9am - 11.30am and I really want to be there for him as a Mum too) I preferably want to work nights, that way I get the best of both worlds (worked at Tesco on nights)

I just, like many of us, want a better life for my family - to have a little bit of spare cash at the end of the month to be able to do nice things!

I haven't been claiming JSA, eventhough I have been looking for work for a long time now. It only occured to me last week that I maybe entitled to it.

Sorry for the long rant, so many of us are in the same boat and I suppose I was looking for someone to share my experience with.

Comments

• Louise22
    Louise22 Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    Thats rubbish MummyYummy (try saying THAT when you have had a bevvy :P)

Think many of us are in the same boat - its very frustrating. Think the only thing we can do is stay positive - the right opportunity WILL come along :D
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    OK so constructive criticism following ... if you are applying for jobs but not getting interviews, when was the last time your CV and covering letter were updated/ looked at by someone who is experienced (and successful) in applying for jobs or recruiting for vacancies? Do you understand what your transferable skills are and are you selling then to potential employers? Or are you lacking in confidence like lots of (capable but don't know it) mums?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • henm01
    henm01 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    OK so constructive criticism following ... if you are applying for jobs but not getting interviews, when was the last time your CV and covering letter were updated/ looked at by someone who is experienced (and successful) in applying for jobs or recruiting for vacancies? Do you understand what your transferable skills are and are you selling then to potential employers? Or are you lacking in confidence like lots of (capable but don't know it) mums?

Great answer.
    Could you find out if there are any return to work 1 day courses you could attend?
    I went to one via Penna in London (had to pay for it) but they helped draft a very impressive CV and gave me some interview techniques. This helped greatly as I lacked confidence.

I have had 2 interviews recently and just been offered one. I believe this was on the back of writing the CV and the interview went like a dream. Preparation is the key.

I seem to remember reading something about Job Centres providing info on Back to Work training?? I'm sure somebody will correct me...

Have you tried any large co's in your area which run telephone centres. We have a Bank nearby who run a customer service centre.

Try www.workingmums.co.uk.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family