PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    so we do ...i never noticed that ...great minds eh ...it is a very true saying ...one of the ones i live my life by ...that and to thine own self be true ...
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Here sweetie, here's some fantastic Chinese home made takeaway recipes, dunno if these'll help

Chinese food :D
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • elantan
    thanks triker ...hubby loves cooking chinese ...he is quite good at it as well ...but we need new ones ....so these will deff help him look for alternatives ...i love mse ...sigh ...its like coming home ...just perfect
  • Well my budgeting has been rubbish - just got enough to cover my veg bags for the rest of the month - but that's ok, I can live out of the freezer with that.

Sadly the cat can't so will hope and pray T's take all my coupons when I go to get cat food and litter.
  • Triker
    elantan wrote: »
    thanks triker ...hubby loves cooking chinese ...he is quite good at it as well ...but we need new ones ....so these will deff help him look for alternatives ...i love mse ...sigh ...its like coming home ...just perfect

Awww you're among friends you should know that.;):D xx
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • Triker
    Here's a really long thread re cooking for the freezer, seeing as you're working long hours it may help to batch cook when you can and then just defrost what you want for tea that day.

Cleaning, stardrops is wonderful stuff, as is vinegar, as are microfibre cloths.
  • elantan
    edited 14 July 2009 at 6:06PM
    ok this might sound like a silly question ...but i am going to ask anyway ...if we have £8 a day for food etc but say i do a washing and use some sauce for cooking ...should i put something like 50p into a different place so that i can afford to replace them? cause i dont want it to get to the stage where i have used the £8 a day then ran out of soap powder and say i need to go buy some more but will need to take it out of the £8 (i buy big sizes usually about £18 a time lasts for ages and cheaper) which wont cover it so in order to buy the soap powder i will need to go without food for at least two days ?

did that make sense?

do you think it would work ?

should i also price every meal ? rather than just going to the shop and buying things?
  • elantan
    Triker wrote: »
    Here's a really long thread re cooking for the freezer, seeing as you're working long hours it may help to batch cook when you can and then just defrost what you want for tea that day.

Cleaning, stardrops is wonderful stuff, as is vinegar, as are microfibre cloths.

that will deff help me next week triker i am night shift all week and the truth is all i have energy to do is sleep and work ...so if i have a look at that i can batch cook at the weekend and take something every day ...i am going to have to get used to not having what i want every day ...i usually wait till the day and then say oh i fancy .... but if i am going to make this work i am going to have to accept that i dont have that option all the time ...especially (spelling) when i am doing a long stint of shifts
  • Triker
    Elantan, well its a tough question really.

I would do this, I'd take all the money and use it as a whole.

You could do online shops and price it up as you go along, there tends to be money off codes on the discounts codes thread to get your shopping down more.

Approved food is another fantastic moneysaving resource that has many fans on here. The food is either getting to or slightly out of date but you can get some brilliant bargains, just work out postage and also you can build up your cupboards this way.
  • Triker
    Here's a thread on freezing sandwiches for packed lunches, if all you can do is collapse when you get home you'll not be in the mood to make yourself some food for the next day.;)

There's loads of tips on good, nutritous and cheap packed lunches.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure