We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What's behind my back boiler

Options
Planning to have my gas back boiler taken out later this year and I'm just trying to get my head round what I'm going to need to do to sort out the fireplace once it's gone.

Does anyone have any experience of what I'm likely to be confronted with? Is there usually a chimney in a usable state once the boiler is out, or has the fireback usually been taken out to make room for the boiler? Are there any flues for the back boiler that I will need to ensure are removed when the boiler goes?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Don't worry, i have no intention of messing with the boiler myself!

Comments

• frank.hopper
    Options
    The old fireback will have been removed when the BB was installed, and a flue liner installed, the chimney will be useable as before, take expert advice on any future plans.
  • jimbugalee
    jimbugalee Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    We took ours out a few months ago now. It looks like a darlek (sp?!) when you take it out and behind it is (turns and looks) a bit hole with just brick.

We're planning to have a wood burning stove and I think we'll need to reline the chimney and sort out the actual bits on top of the roof.

not very technical or maybe helpful but hope it helps!
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    when i removed my baxi bermuda it was just the gas pipe to be capped off and the 4 x water pipes drained and cut off.
    then i skimmed the inside of the fireplace to tidy it up.
    also installed a modern gas/log fire. not connected, its just for decoration.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family