We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

First egg!!!!! Now what shall we do with it?

Got our 3 chooks on Sunday afternoon - by Monday afternoon there was a nice, heavy, perfectly formed egg waiting for us :D

So, what can we do with one egg? We want to blow the shell out so we can keep it for posterity, so boiled eggs are out.

If we get another one today, we'll make a cake, but want to be prepared in case we don't.

I'll give them some nice corn as a treat now :)
New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
«1

Comments

  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Congratulations :D

    How do you like your eggs? :o

    I got a lemon tree for my birthday a couple of years ago and my first lemon was photographed more than a celebrity!! We then cut it up and had it in a G&T :rotfl:
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • Alfietinker
    Alfietinker Posts: 562 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hee hee - I hadn't thought of photographing it - I will now though!

    Problem solved - my grandma has just rang to say she'd bought me some sausages if I wanted to pop in. So, sausages, scrambled egg and beans I think - a real treat for us!


    :D
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    On the first River Cottage series,Hugh F-W made a souffle for one with his first egg and his first courgette.

    Congrats on the size 12 btw,I'm very jealous but inspired ;)
  • MinnieSpender
    MinnieSpender Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    ... but maybe photograph it first... :confused:
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • Alfietinker
    Alfietinker Posts: 562 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hee hee - guess what?! We found the first egg sitting on top of the woodshavings, so assumed there was one brown egg. When I looked last night, there was another brown egg. I fluffed out the shavings and realised there were 4 more white eggs which had been buried!!! One was broken, but in 2 days we've had 6 eggs! :J :J

    We had a 'grill-up' last night - and I'm going to make Toad in the Hole tonight - I can see a glut coming on! :D

    I took a photo - but hubby had already used 2 small white ones first :rolleyes:

    eggs.jpg

    P.S. - Thanks Thriftlady - I've still got a stone to go but I'm not in any particular rush - too many omlettes to eat first ;)
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Wow ~ I'm so jealous :D.... one day I will have eggs too ....
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • Alfietinker
    Alfietinker Posts: 562 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Ooh ooh! Get chickens definitely! Hubby took ages to be persuaded and wasn't that bothered. But when we collected the girls he couldn't believe how beautiful they were and is now really taken with them.

    Ours live in a large run and so far seem really happy :)
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    When the children were small we kept hens, RIR's they laid their first egg on Easter Sunday, as the chickens were my youngests sons responsibility he got to eat the first egg for his tea.........

    They were superb layers and went on laying for over 2 years before they had to be despatched to that henhouse in the sky..........



    Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

    saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

    Total so far £14.00!!
  • amazon_spice
    amazon_spice Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Ooooooh! how egg-citing [someone had to say it!! :rotfl: ]
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Fantastic .. I'd really love to have chickens .. but I have no garden (well just a green patch at the front of the house). My parents kept chucks when I was young and I used to hate having to go and get the eggs 'cause they'd peck my knees above my wellie boots :eek:

    What I wouldn't give to have my own chickens and eggs now!
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.