How to become a web designer?

Options
Hello,

I have a burning ambition to become a web designer, but not sure where to start.
I don't want it to replace my main job, just be a part time interest.

Are web designers two-a-penny, or are they difficult to find?

What software packages are essential to learn?

I saw one (private) course locally but it was £2,800! Can it be done cheaper?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JustJewels wrote: »
    Are web designers two-a-penny, or are they difficult to find?

To be honest mate, I think they are more like ten-a-penny.......

Don't mean to put you off, if you are only doing it part time then at least you can try it and nothing lost as you have a wage to fall back on....
  • Reds-on-Sea
    Reds-on-Sea Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    go to your local library and get some books out. Software can be very expensive, and it's something you'll have to buy even if you shell out for the course.
  • spiritus
    spiritus Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My friend. Don't spend silly money on courses !!

Get a copy of Microsoft Frontpage or Dreamweaver. You can learn most things on the internet for free. Search for tutorials and also go on Youtube.

Don't think you have to design award winning websites-you don't. A simple looking website that attracts a lot of visitors is worth far more than a glitzy website that doesn't attract anyone.

Spend more of your time on SEO (search engine optimisation).

The most popular websites are actually very plain e.g. google, ebay etc
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    A simple Google of "professional web designers" will show that there are thousands out there, individuals and companies. I have heard that there is not nearly enough work to go round.

It is similar to IT: you can pay a fortune on courses, but there is no guarantee of work at the end of it, and there are already many experienced professionals competing for what work exists. Everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon by getting into what looks like a highly paid sector.

There is no harm in teaching yourself the elements provided that you do not spend a lot of money on this, and perhaps taking on an assignment or two in your spare time, but I would not count on earning a living, at least at the moment.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You also need to design some real websites so you have a portfolio

perhaps ask local businesses if you can do them a free website?
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    Private training courses can be extortionate whereas local college courses that cover the same material can be 90% cheaper. I've seen courses on Dreamweaver for hundreds of pounds whereas my local college charges £100 and I expect its free for some. They often have part-time or full-time web design/new media courses. Buying the software and working through online courses or books can also work if you are into self-study. T

Take a look at web design job vacancies on Jobserve to get an idea of the technologies, languages and software that are commonly requested.

I've bought a legit copy of Dreamweaver off ebay for £145. This is part of the Adobe creative suite, alongside other packages like Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, that a lot of professionals use.

Yes, there are loads of web designers.
  • Reggie_Rebel
    Reggie_Rebel Posts: 5,036 Forumite
    Options
    As well as being loads of web designers there are also loads of people who do it alongside other IT functions
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The way I learnt was to buy a copy of dreamweaver, (Dont touch MS Frontpage with a barge pole).
    Find 5 websites you really like, copy them and re-engineer them into a new website. Find as amny of the free online tutorials you can.
    And build up a portfolio from customers, I knocked out a load of simple business website for £50 a pop until I had a half decent portfolio.

I dont do any websites now, If I get approached I just farm the work out to a freelancer.
  • MickW_3
    MickW_3 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    These days there is more to being a web designer than just knowing how to code HTML and/or use Dreamweaver. You need to build up an arsenal of skills in different areas to be able to stay ahead of the curve.

Like others have said I wouldn't pay for any courses, there's so much material available online you can virtually learn all you can from the comfort of your own home. In addition to some of the suggestions others have made I would also look at learning the following;

PHP scripting
    MySQL
    Apache & IIS web servers
    Find out how site hosting works e.g. CPanel, Fantastico etc (after all the chances are once you've designed the site they might ask you where/ow to go about hosting it!)
    CSS (Cascading Style Sheets - go to CSS ZenGarden for some awesome layouts)
    Learn about CMS (Content Management Systems e.g. Wordpress etc)

There's really no limit in the things you can/need to learn. It goes without saying that the more tools you know the more informed choices you can make for your prospective client.

Hope this helps.
  • dvinedeano
    Options
    MickW wrote: »
    These days there is more to being a web designer than just knowing how to code HTML and/or use Dreamweaver. You need to build up an arsenal of skills in different areas to be able to stay ahead of the curve.

Like others have said I wouldn't pay for any courses, there's so much material available online you can virtually learn all you can from the comfort of your own home. In addition to some of the suggestions others have made I would also look at learning the following;

PHP scripting
    MySQL
    Apache & IIS web servers
    Find out how site hosting works e.g. CPanel, Fantastico etc (after all the chances are once you've designed the site they might ask you where/ow to go about hosting it!)
    CSS (Cascading Style Sheets - go to CSS ZenGarden for some awesome layouts)
    Learn about CMS (Content Management Systems e.g. Wordpress etc)

There's really no limit in the things you can/need to learn. It goes without saying that the more tools you know the more informed choices you can make for your prospective client.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, there are loads of things to touch on in web design. I would like to be doing web design but just carnt get any feedback on jobs that I have been applying for. I have not payed for any courses and have learned a lot myself in web design and also have a portfolio which is on the internet.
    w w w.
    dvine. kemixx. net/Portfolio/
    it wont let me post it due to me being a new user.

check it out. and I have learned all of this myself. Im very intrested in computers and can do a lot on them. web design is just a area I have touched on and like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure