We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

compact

read about this in the Times today, Jane Shilling's column - she is trying to cut down on spending.

a bunch of people in San Francisco have made a pact (compact) for 2006 - not to buy anything new except food, medicine and essential underwear/shoes (ie not designer or just because you fancy it.) anything else needed - borrow or freecycle or secondhand. it sounds pretty OS to me.

their blog is on
http://sfcompact.blogspot.com

Comments

  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Sounds interesting, I'll have a look.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Wow,interesting experiment,I've just bought 11 second-hand books from Amazon :eek: does that fit with the pact? But what about wine,not sure I want that second-hand :D
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    thriftlady wrote:
    But what about wine,not sure I want that second-hand :D

    I suppose you could try making your own wine? Although last time I tried this, we made peach wine from a kit and it was nasty :o

    :rotfl:
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.