Can I work for two different companies?

Options
If I get offered the part time job I have applied for can I still carry on working for my present company?

I currently only work part time and although it doesn't mean much as I only have a small share, I'm classed as a company director. If I accept the new job and my current boss still wants me to do some work on a as and when basis, can I do this without telling my new employer? Are there any issues I should be aware of (other than not working for the other in their time). Thanks

Comments

• vegankris
    vegankris Posts: 585 Forumite
    Options
    I may be wrong here, but think it depends on the company and contract?

I'm currently looking for a second job, and in my employee handbook, it states that I may take on a second job, so long as this is my main job and it does not interfere with my work for them.
    Owing to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off until further notice. :(

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!!!:cool:
  • slummymummyof3
    slummymummyof3 Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will also need to notify the tax office as to which is your 'main job' - (the higher earning one) as you will be taxed at the basic rate on the second job. Work out which one pays the most and you might need to swap them around for the benefit of tax purposes.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will also need to notify the tax office as to which is your 'main job' - (the higher earning one) as you will be taxed at the basic rate on the second job. Work out which one pays the most and you might need to swap them around for the benefit of tax purposes.
    At the end of the tax year it really won't matter which is your 'main job' as all your income will be added together to work out your tax.

And I don't think it would be automatic that, as the year progresses, you would pay tax at only basic rate at a second job if you have a high income!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    At the end of the tax year it really won't matter which is your 'main job' as all your income will be added together to work out your tax.

And I don't think it would be automatic that, as the year progresses, you would pay tax at only basic rate at a second job if you have a high income!

I agree, I work two jobs and the same tax rules apply to everyone on the amount in total you earn not which job pays the most. I have had no issues with present employer or the tax office working 2 jobs. good luck !
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    Someone else was asking about this very recently: there are several issues here.

There may be something in your contract(s) of employment that mentions asking permission, but employers must know that a part-time employee needs to find another job to make ends meet. What you do in the time that you are not working for one employer is your own business in theory, but not if it affects your ability to do your work. I think that it is best to let both companies know what you are doing.

There is the question of tiredness, although this usually applies to full time employees who get an evening job. Then there is the question of using the facilities in one job to do work for the other: for example, using the internet and spreadsheets in one place for work for the other job. Then there is the question of conflict of interest: if both companies are in the same business then you could be considered to be working for the opposition.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Options
    The issues of working for 2 employers are :

1) Not exceeding the Working hours limit (48 hours)
    2) Telling/asking permission from both employers that you are working for another.
    3) Employers might object if they are in competition. ie PT for Orange and PT for 02 asa example.

Bozo
  • csa
    csa Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you your advice has helped.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SomeBozo wrote: »
    The issues of working for 2 employers are :

1) Not exceeding the Working hours limit (48 hours)
    2) Telling/asking permission from both employers that you are working for another.
    3) Employers might object if they are in competition. ie PT for Orange and PT for 02 asa example.

Bozo

You can work as many hours as you want under the opt out clause, an employer cant make you work more than 48 hours .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure