Getting money back from a "friend"

124»

Comments

• Hi,

im not sure if this is theright place but i need some advise.

I leant my 'so-called' friend money ver a period of a few months and got loans out for her when she said she would be paying me back etc.

near enough 4 months later and i havent seen ANY money for any of it. I have sent an aggreement which she agnoliged then i havent heard anything. She has blocked my number as i have tried calling off my mobile and then off a different number. I also whatsapp her as i know when my messages are delivered. She has read them but not replied.

She owes me £4133 to date.

What do i do? as i am now on a Debt management plan as i cant afford the outgoings every month.

Any help or advise would be fantastic
  • Amethyst16,

I cant help you other than I advise you to read the previous advice in this thread.

For those reading this thread, never lend money to a friend unless you are not expecting to get the money back. As soon as you have handed the money over your friendship has gone and you now have a business relationship.

If someone is asking a friend for a loan, it almost always means that they are out of options for borrowing money from proper lenders, and that means you are unlikely to get your money back. Think carefully when making such a loan. My advice is simply to say that you have money problems of your own when asked.
  • This is my first post on here, thank you for the template ~ that will be really handy for me too. Now, out of interest, do you or anybody else know what the process will be when claiming a loan (to sister) back which was loaned 14 years ago :eek: , please?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    After 6 years without acknowledgement, the debt becomes statute barred. If this is an informal family arrangement without any written agreement or proof of debt, then your chances of recovery by legal process after 14 years are zero, although the debt does still exist.
    However, your sister may not be aware of that, so you have nothing to lose by sending an LBA. How big was the loan?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Hey everyone, was wondering if someone could help. I send £250 to someone stupidly thinking they would send me an iPad we were talking about. Turns out he never sent the iPad and live lost that money as I can’t get hold of him and he’s deleted his email. I sent the money via online banking and have lots and lots of emails confirming he didn’t send the iPad from his friend who I’ve been working with to try and get the money back. So I have evidence and the statement saying I’ve sent £250. Will a small claims court take this on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure