We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Dodging Gouranga Troops in Glasgow

2»

Comments

  • I had a friend that told them "Sorry, I'm ginger!" and walked off. The look of confusion was fantastic.
  • lol I was just trying to explain to my new flatemate about the gouranga people - she's not had the pleasure of seeing them yet!

    They all seem to spin a different story. One told me they live in the hills & live off donations people give them so could I go into Sainsburys & get him a pint of full fat milk & a pack of butter, real butter in the foil (he was v specific) then that would be great. Aye nae bother pal! I managed to get back out the other door without him seeing me....

    Another time I told one that I believed in the one true god, lord jesus christ. He actually got very angry with me & started shouting abuse - cant remember what, that was years ago.

    Another stopped me with "have you ever met a monk before?"
    Me: "yes"
    Him "really? where?"
    Me: "eh buchan street mostly, yous are always knocking about!!"
    He didnt really have much to say after that!

    They do my head in!!
  • There was one of these people in Perth High Street a couple of weeks ago. I just ignore them. To be honest I hate anyone standing in a busy town/city trying to get my attention to give a charity or a religious group any money. My pet hate has to be these charity people who stand outside in the street from Central Station in Glasgow, they have about 5 of them so if you get past one the next one tries to grab you. Take a small child with you and usually they leave you alone!!

    Stirling is the place not Sterling, thats a furniture shop in Tillicoutry...:rotfl:
  • I thought they lived on the little island (Holy Isle?) just off of Arran. But I could well be wrong, seems a bit strange for them to travel all that way every day.

    Nah, that's a Buddhist retreat..... I think the gouranga mob are something else.

    Best advice is to avoid all city centres, I've been doing it for years.....works for me!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.