JSA information required!

Options
Hey,

I've just been made redundant :( and was hoping to get some info regarding JSA i would be entitled to.

I own a property (no mortgage) that i rent out, and i live with my mum. I have also been self-employed in my spare time for several years (dancer). However, I am also several tens of thousands of pounds in debt on various credit cards / loans.

I've been working for 5 years so i know i am entitled to contribution based JSA. Will this be affected by my income from dancing & rent, or will the income be offset against my outgoings from debt?

Also, for income based JSA, will income / savings (i.e. redundancy packet) be offset against debt outgoings / total debt?
The reason i ask is i will need to keep my redundancy packet to pay the min monthly amounts for my debts, so i feel it would be unfair if i'm penalised for having 10K roughly from redundancy when i'm 40K in debt!

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    The amount of JSA you can get is affected by income and savings only. Your debt WILL NOT be taken into account. Your redundancy pay may also affect your JSA, either by reducing the amount you receive, or even delay your payments...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    The money you receive as rent for the property will be treated as income and will stop you getting means tested benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure