Gross Salary Calculation

Options
Hi there,

I need to work out what a gross salary (before tax) would be using the net salary.

I have found hundreds of websites where you are able to calculate your NI from your net or gross or your net from your gross.

However, I need to work out what my gross salary would be based on the net figure that I have here in front of me.

Does anyone know of any tools for this, please?

Thank you.

P.S. I hope I have posted this in the right place!
'I can't deny the British influence on my accent and mannerisms, but I don't know the British national anthem, I didn't weep for Princess Diana and I always cheer when Britain loses at sport. That's how British I am' Constantine-Simms. :T

On God: 'The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike' D. B. McKown :T

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there,

I need to work out what a gross salary (before tax) would be using the net salary.

I have found hundreds of websites where you are able to calculate your NI from your net or gross or your net from your gross.

However, I need to work out what my gross salary would be based on the net figure that I have here in front of me.

Does anyone know of any tools for this, please?

Thank you.

P.S. I hope I have posted this in the right place!

Salaries are quoted as gross, not net.
    Where has this net salary figure you have come from?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • jap200
    jap200 Posts: 2,033 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    You need this website:
    http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/

Click on 'Req'd Salary' on the left-hand column and it will tell you what gross salary you need to earn in order to take home the amount that you put in the box
  • Piggles12345
    Piggles12345 Posts: 736 Forumite
    Options
    Salaries are quoted as gross, not net.
    Where has this net salary figure you have come from?

It's not really a net salary per se. It is a tax free salary.

So I need to work out how much it would be equivalent to if it was a net salary figure from a normal gross amount.

Do you see what I mean? :confused:
    'I can't deny the British influence on my accent and mannerisms, but I don't know the British national anthem, I didn't weep for Princess Diana and I always cheer when Britain loses at sport. That's how British I am' Constantine-Simms. :T

On God: 'The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike' D. B. McKown :T
  • brians_daughter
    brians_daughter Posts: 2,148 Forumite
    Options
    urm..no i dont see what you mean but i am having brian fog today ! lol Tax free salary is based on your tax code os if your tax code is 545 for example you can earn 5400 pa without paying tax.

if you want to find out your gross salary and are earning below the higher tax band limit a rough calc would be divide what your take home pay is by 76 then multiply by 100. approx 24% is NI and tax - i do this when my wages vary and it is never more than a few % out
  • Piggles12345
    Options
    Yeah, sorry that last post was so unclear!!

It is basically a salary that is not liable for income tax at all.

So, say I earn £30,000 and am not liable for tax at all on that.
    Therefore, I would get paid £30,000 per year and take home £30,000 per year. My net and gross salaries are £30,000.

So, taking £30,000 as my net salary (as it is the amount that I would take home each year), I wanted to work out how much my gross salary would be if £30,000 was actually my net salary.

Does that make any more sense?

• brians_daughter
    brians_daughter Posts: 2,148 Forumite
    Options
    http://listentotaxman.com/index.php?c=1&yr=2009&age=0&add=0&code=&pension=0&time=1&ingr=41000&vw%5B%5D=yr&vw%5B%5D=wk

if you use this and play about with it !!

i estimate that if you take home £30k you would 'earn' £41k ish.

Makes ure you fill in all the details you can ie tax code and pension etc and as a starting figure i would put gross pay as £41000 and see what it states net will be over year... you need to click 'display in wage summary' just year to make it easier to understand!
    hth
  • Piggles12345
    Options
    Thanks for that!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure