Getting into work after sickness.

Options
I've suffered from a mental health condition since the age of 13. I recieved a diagnosis at the age of 18. And since then I've been doing all I can to get back on track.

From the age of 18 I'd be receiving DLA and incapacity benefit. Because of my mums illness/problems as well (Multiple sclerosis, alcoholism, drug abuse) It was more than I could cope with handling, therapy, DBT, psychiatry and occupational therapies amongst others on top of looking after my mother.
During this time I tried taking a couple of jobs, both through a work agency.
One was a temp packing job, after a few days the stress got too much and I left. (based on my doctor reccomendation).
A short while after I applied for a call centre job, worked there for just under a week, I managed to cope just about but then they suddenly wanted to change my work schedule and hours which pushed me over the edge and I left again.

Since then I've continued with my medical help and I've slowly got back into studies (because of my mental illness I basically lost a 3 year chunk that normally would have been college and my first year of uni). After a couple of failed college starts I finally decided to go for a foundation degree in something I really enjoyed and so far I've made it through the first year :)

However I'm not 100% sure that doing the second year will be of great benefit to me (it's a performance course at a conservatory) and either way I really want to get back into work over the summer at least.

The worries I have though is that I know a few types of jobs will cause me to flare up so I'm aiming at things I know I should be able to handle. (Mainly things that involve me having to move around so I'm not sitting in a boiling office getting stressed.)

Now to be honest, this is mainly bog standard supermarket work and I'd be looking at working part-time to start with.
I don't feel my illness would affect me within the typical roles at this job and I'm sure that in an interview anyone would realise this.
But I don't really want to put it down on an application form, given that the condition has a fairly large and vague collection of symptoms. Some of which I'm sure would scare off an employer. (These don't affect me as they've never really been an issue and my diagnosis was based on other criteria, but alot of suffers have severe anger problems, drug problems, gambling problems etc.)

Now I know my potential employer would want to know why I've got a 3 year chunk missing. Given my family history would it be sufficient to state my mothers problems, having to take care of her, my fathers problems (he had a period where he was on a ventilator for a long time, came out to discover he now had cancer and diabetes) and my little brothers diabetes which due to my mother and fathers health meant my grandparents were occupied caring for him, therefore leaving me to help my parents.

Also given the short period of work I've previous done, and the fact that it was a long time ago. What can I do regarding references? Would they be likely to be at all interested in the opinions of my course tutor?

I'll also be looking at some self-employed oppertunities as a session musician and instrumental tutor, but income from this is likely to be extremely small until I gather more teaching experience.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    I think that you need to be honest about your illness..contact Mind for some advice on that. As for references, if you explain that you have been out of work due to illness, provide personal referees instead e.g. course tutor, someone who knows you well (not a relative).

Remember to contact Access to Work as well as they will make recommendations to your employer as to what adjustments need to be made - Access to Work will fund most of the adjustments if not all during your first months of work.

Good luck.
  • Top_Banana_2
    Top_Banana_2 Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck, Luke.

I'm in a similar situation. I was ill for a long while, and can only provide one, non-employment reference.

The Jobcentre do not help at all.

I feel so stuck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family