Holiday on resignation

Options
Maybe this is the wrong forum to ask this.

I am considering resigning at the end of next month.

I am entitled to 12 days holiday at that point. Can anyone tell me if I can take all of these days as holiday (I want to ) or can my employer force me to take some as pay.

What are the rules? I heard somewhere about statutory holiday.
thanks

Comments

• LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    The employer can turn down the holiday request and choose to pay it instead.

Its really a case of asking and seeing. If you are sneaky ask for the holiday now before you even resign and they are more likely to accept it - possibly.
  • nearleyretired
    Options
    Should have added --- I was told that I had to be given 20 days x no of months /12
    (approx. 11 days)
    because of statutory holiday - with the rest paid in cash - is this not the case?
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    Should have added --- I was told that I had to be given 20 days x no of months /12
    (approx. 11 days)
    because of statutory holiday - with the rest paid in cash - is this not the case?

You have a right to this but your employer doesnt need to grant it just because you have resigned before you took it. Payment in Lieu would be acceptable.

Also what do you intend to do when you resign for alternative employment?
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How much notice do you have to give to terminate your employment?
  • nearleyretired
    Options
    How much notice do you have to give to terminate your employment?

My notice period is 1 month
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your reference to statutory holidays makes me think that your holiday entitlement is 20 days plus the 8 bank holidays and that your holiday year runs from 1 January. It also means that you get one more day than the statutory minimum holiday entitlement (assuming you work 5 days a week) as that is 28 days now (since 1 April) but 27 days for the calendar year of 2009.

If you were to resign at the end of July, you would be due to finish at the end of August - so would have completed 8 months service.

Twenty-eight days divided by 12 multiplied by 8 equals = 18.67 days. You will have taken 5 of the bank holidays, I assume, leaving accrued holiday of 13.67 if you have taken no other holiday. So you may be due more holiday.

Whether you could take holiday during your notice period perhaps depends on whether August is a busy month in your line of work and whether it would not be too difficult to cover your work if you took the time off. After all, it would mean that the employer would be paying you less in total. You might even want to phrase it in that way when you ask about taking holiday during your notice period.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    It would be written into your contract when you can submit your resignation, it is common to give one months' notice, however if you a' nore an academic working in a university or college environment then you would have to give 3 months notice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure