HELP!! Urgently

Options
My girlfriend is a casual receptionist and between 3 others they work different shifts within 2/3 leisure centres, the problem is, my girlfriend books her shifts well in advance but as she turns up to do them she gets knocked back saying they have changed and someone else is working her shifts instead (this has happened about 4/5 times) She has asked her DM why this keeps happening but they keep ignoring the matter. They do not inform her of the change and she only knows once she has turned up ready to work, its extremely frustrating for her as she could of sorted something else for that day, its also embarrasing too. I personally think the person dealing with shifts doesnt like her and likes messing her around. the shifts vary from 6am to 10pm.
Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

thanking in advance

leo

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Does the same thing happen to the 3 other people who also work as casual receptionists?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    Its part and parcel of casual work.
  • leo110303
    leo110303 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Does the same thing happen to the 3 other people who also work as casual receptionists?

No, only her,. maybe its part of casual work but they surely shouldnt simply swap shifts and replace her with another without any reason, nor informing her.
  • Liz_the_Whizz
    Options
    Hi Leo,

How annoying.

Maybe she could start by getting them to ring her an hour or so before the shift starts to confirm she is still needed, at least then she doesn't have to waste a journey and it makes it less embarrassing.

She should also speak to her co-workers if she can to see if this is !!!!-up or conspiracy

Is there anything in her contract (if she has one, many casuals don't) about a minimum level of guaranteed work or a protocol about what happens with last minute changes which affect her potential earnings? Does she have an HR person she could speak to about this?

Assuming not, then her best option is to look elsewhere for something more dependable. I know jobs aren't easy to come by at present, but no-one should put up with this level of hassle long-term.

Good luck to her.
    "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" (Sir Winston Churchill)
  • leo110303
    leo110303 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Leo,

How annoying.

Maybe she could start by getting them to ring her an hour or so before the shift starts to confirm she is still needed, at least then she doesn't have to waste a journey and it makes it less embarrassing.

[Majority of the time her shifts start at 6am when the centre opens]

Is there anything in her contract (if she has one, many casuals don't) about a minimum level of guaranteed work or a protocol about what happens with last minute changes which affect her potential earnings? Does she have an HR person she could speak to about this?

[I shall get her to double check her contract/paperwork from the employer and let you know]

Assuming not, then her best option is to look elsewhere for something more dependable. I know jobs aren't easy to come by at present, but no-one should put up with this level of hassle long-term.

Good luck to her.[Thankyou]
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    leo110303 wrote: »
    No, only her,. maybe its part of casual work but they surely shouldnt simply swap shifts and replace her with another without any reason, nor informing her.

You need to find out why this is only happening to your wife - you would expect the same to happen to them as well.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Is it a question of simply "booking" her shifts or do they need to be approved as well?

It sounds as if she thinks she'll get exactly what she asks for as long as she puts in early enough and this won't necessarily be the case. They all need to ask for a rota to be distributed with the definitive list of shift duties on it.
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    It may well be your OH is the poorest of the 3 and thus is used as the last option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure