Best Degree Now?

Options
As I'm struggling to get a job, I'm thinking about going to uni'. My interest lies in surveying or planning, but the industry is on it's knees. I'd be taking a huge risk by hoping that it will have picked up by the end of my degree. If it doesn't then I would pretty much be in the same situation that I am now.

So, I've started to look at other degrees.

Which area would you say would provide the most realistic chance of employment upon graduation?

I'm not keen on nursing, and teaching seems to be a non starter due to my lack of Science GCSE.

I have average grades, so cannot think about things like law, medicine, etc. I have been made an offer to study a surveying degree, and they have told me that I can move to another course if I decide that's what I want to do. It's at Wolverhampton Uni'.

I have seen a Horticulture BSc which I'd be genuinely interested in, but again- this industry has poor employment chances. I don't want to go to uni for 3 years to just end up weeding someones back garden.

Any tips?

Comments

• Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    engineering? Top engineering grads are still fought over...
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Id stick with your original interest, the industry may be low at the moment, but by the time you graduate, the whole thing could be a different ball game.

If you want, as a back up plan, also do a science GCSE, you will find it a lot easier now that you are older. You could study in the evening.

IF your original career faulters, you can take the shorter course for teaching when you already have a degree.
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Teaching is also an area which there is now a glut of teachers and not enough jobs - be careful.
  • Top_Banana_2
    Top_Banana_2 Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    Is it not better for me to just keep trying to get a job and hope that I can work my way up from 'the bottom'?
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What type of job are you currently qualified to do?
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Top_Banana wrote: »
    Is it not better for me to just keep trying to get a job and hope that I can work my way up from 'the bottom'?

Well that wasnt an option you seemed to want :) A job doing what? You tend to need degrees to clean a loo nowdays
  • dan_essex
    dan_essex Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    going for a classic subject is always a good option, like English or Maths.
  • nexuss
    nexuss Posts: 989 Forumite
    Options
    What qualifications do you have ?
  • TheJonsterMonster
    Options
    It's a tricky one; I don't think there is one degree that you could point to and say you'll be guaranteed a job at the end of it. Otherwise, it would be the most subscribed course in the world!

My advice, I graduated last year, is do a degree on a subject that you're interested in; otherwise you'll be wasting three years of your life (a bit like I did). In my experience it's sometimes best to get a degree and then find a job that you like the sound of. There are skills you will gain from university that will make you employable, it's not just the degree subject.

This is only a rule of thumb, if there's a preferred career path like Medicine, then obviously you'll have to study that.
  • snowqueen555
    snowqueen555 Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    teaching there are still jobs, but only in certain subjects e.g. female pe teacher and religion etc..

nhs as alreayd suggested, and social care, but social care is low pay.

other then this engineering is still pretty good, as alreayd mentioned
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport