PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bay Leaves

Options

Comments

• katiepops_2
    Options
    If you happen to be trimming your tree (mine is absolutely massive) ... chop off a bit of a branch to stick on your bbq - the branches smell absolutely gorgeously bay-ley-like!
  • 10past6
    10past6 Posts: 4,962 Forumite
    Options
    Hello peeps :hello:

This may seem a stupid question, but I've seen bags of bay leaf within the spices isle, what are bay leaf used for?
    Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's a herb. (# I'm Bayleaf, I'm the gardener ... #)

It's usually used for soups and stews, and usually used whole and removed from the dish before serving.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • hmkn
    hmkn Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Also very nice in rice pudding. Again, remove before serving.

They are also supposed to deter creep crawlies from flour etc, but not tried that myself.

HMK
  • katiesmummy
    katiesmummy Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    Options
    i always put a bay leaf in with spag bol.

might be wrong, but i think they are used in some curries as well
    2011- new year, new start.

January 2011 g/c- £150
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Very useful in flavouring the white bechamel sauce you use in lasagne. Bearing in mind that most people buy the pre made jars.....
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use them in milk when making bread sauce or a white sauce for lasagne.

*** bechamel - that's the word I was looking for :D ***
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm Bayleaf, I'm the gardener ...

That's as maybe ;) I'm Dill the dog, I'm a dog named Dill. My tail I try to get, I've never caught it yet ..............:D :rotfl:

Back on topic :o I add bayleaves to casseroles, and there's a prize at dinner for the person who wins them on their plate :rolleyes:

I'll add this to the existing bay leaf thread so that you can browse other ideas.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    and I'm a very friendly lion called Parsley.......:D

Bay leaves are my most used herb, probably because I have a flourishing bay growing just outside my back door.

I put them in stews (especially beef), soups and any fish dish. They are really good with fish. Also as has been mentioned they are important along with peppercorns for infusing milk prior to making a bechamel sauce.
  • 10past6
    10past6 Posts: 4,962 Forumite
    Options
    Well thankyou peeps :A

I feel educated now :rotfl:
    Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure