Getting money out of pension

Options
Hi there,

Although hav had a personal pension for about 9 years, haven't got a clue about these t hings at all!!!

Is it true you can't get your money out of them????? I have more than one on the go - coz I started a company one and am not looking to start a new company one aswell.....

So what do I do?

I would like to close one of them and have the money back - is this possible???

Any and all advise welcome

Thanks

S x

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hot.chick wrote:
    I would like to close one of them and have the money back - is this possible???

Any and all advise welcome

No. It's designed to provide you with an income in retirement. The only way you can money out is when you retire. You can then have about 25% of it as a tax-free lump sum (under current tax rules), with the remainder used to provide you with a regular income ... to pay your bills and keep you off means-tested State benefits ;)

It's a bit like having an orphaned savings account. You might put no more money in, but what's there is there and continues to be governed by the terms & conditions of the plan.

HTH
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • hot.chick
    hot.chick Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    oh............ I never knew that - I can see why they do it - and ok, i suppose thsts the idea of a pension so we don't keep dipping in and out of the like we can savings accounts..........

hmmmm..... back to the drawing board to fund new car then!!!!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only way you can money out is when you retire.

The money can also come out if you die or if you are terminally ill with less than a year to live.

However I presume neither of those are attractive options.
  • hot.chick
    Options
    hmmmmm..... maybe not! lol

I just thought since I had more than one on the go I could cash one of them in.

This assumption however is wrong - :-(

How silly of me to be paying into things willy nilly without knowing exactly what it's all about
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    Amazing how many people don't seem to realise that once you pay money into a pension, you can never get it out. :rolleyes:
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    I think "never get it out" is a bit harsh. Most people get out more than they put in, once you take investment returns into account, and the half of the pensioner population who live longer than average mortality can get a lot more out than they put in, just spread over a number of years.
  • exil
    exil Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Options
    You can get the money out at 50 (55 from 2010) but in the form of a 25% lump sum and annuity, or by "drawing down".

Whether that reassures you depends on how old you are!
  • hot.chick
    Options
    i'm 29 - won't be holding out for this to get my new car with!!!!!

would have died through walking by then!!!
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Alternatively, won't all that walking will help guarantee that you remain a "hot chick"?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure