Options
2»

Comments

• Alybea
    Alybea Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Hey!
    My thoughts
    1) do you have internet banking? If so check out how much has been paid in from your employer - average it across a few months if you do over time etc. (if you don't set it up. you can manage direct debits etc and can cancel your charity donations from it)
    2) buy a couple of box files... One for work related stuff & bank things and another for house bills. (I've got a third for car related stuff) I'm really unorganised and i find it helpful to have a box to sling things into... they might not be in order but they are all in one place. I occasionally have to empty the boxes to find things, but at least it narrows where things are!

Talk to student loans, if anyone is going to be reasonable you'd hop it would be these. I earn about the same at you and i think i pay them £20 a month, which is nicer than £75!
  • bitter-roses
    Options
    Primula wrote: »
    We had a direct debit to a charity which we had paid for many many years. The only time we ever heard from that Charity was when they sent a mailshot asking for more money and that really annoyed me so when we did our moneysaving makeover I just cancelled the dd with the bank and I fully expected to hear from the Charity at some point, but we never did, I admit I did feel a pang of guilt but in the end of the day, charity begins at home so if I were you, I'd just cancel the d/ds. Once you are debt free you can give to your chosen charities again. Good luck in you debt free journey.

I’ll just stop them, then. Chances aren’t good that they’d be able to reach me anyway, as if I’m not online I’m either asleep or at work.

Have just remembered a quarterly DD I have for the Radio Times (I don’t watch much telly, so I guess it can go.) How do I go about cancelling that? I don’t know the reference number for it, either.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    You could just phone up the bank and cancel the DD. Or you could write a letter to the relevant address (presumably find it in a copy of RT) and say you want to cancel it give your name & address and they should find you on the database easily enough.

Have you looked into getting broadband? Dial up is very slow, you may be able to get broadband & a telephone line for the same as you are paying now or even less. Or you could even consider a PAYG 'dongle' thing for internet - though I don't know how they work out cost wise.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family