MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Billy do Vinny's telly deal?

Options
2»

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Only if I wasn't paying even just a deposit up front!
    Sorry to sound mercenary but a £5 reduction is derisory, even on the web price. This item could cost several hundred pounds (and up).
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes he should go ahead and pay on delivery.
    Demanding that only pays up once he has the TV is no less reasonable than Vinny demanding cash in hand. I am sure they will both be able scratch each other's backs to mutual advantage with no problems.
  • durham_girl
    durham_girl Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Options
    I would agree to the deal, but I wouldn't be paying any money up front. Cash on delivery only!
    :j30/7/10:j

:j24/1/14 :j
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Pay cash for a measly £5 saving!!

He's taking the mick. I'd want at LEAST a £50 reduction or i'm not doing business with you. Family or not!!!!!
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    Yes, Billy should buy the TV but at a much higher discount than £5 .... unless of course he finds the same product vastly reduced at an electrical superstore ..... after all, Vinny - it's just business
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And the other thing I've just thought of is to make sure the receipts and guarantees are in order. Anyone know if the guarantee still stands, if the business you bought from goes belly up?
  • biosh
    biosh Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Possibly, but only pay cash on delivery (as a favour to family). However, my single purchase isn't going to turnaround a failing busines, so....

..... probably just buy it elsewhere on my moneyback credit card, thus getting 1% off the cheapest web price and get a cast iron guarantee. CC paid off every month of course.

However, I would offer to buy it from him at the cheapest web price with my credit card - up to him if he takes it. Which is what I tend to do with local independent businesses anyway. I want to support them but I'm not prepared for that to cost more than a marginal difference in price. As I say, my purchase isn't going to solve any fundamental problem with his business.
  • hundredk
    hundredk Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pippinpuss wrote: »
    Yes do the deal, but you don't have to pay until tv is delivered. I certainly wouldn't pay in advance to any company
    That's not the dilemma tho..... "Vinny then goes on to explain business has been tough recently and he’s very grateful as he's really struggling and he needs the cash. Yet of course this means there’s a risk he could go under before the telly's delivered..."

Vinny wants the cash up front... goes on to explain business has been tough recently and he’s very grateful as he's really struggling and he needs the cash.......either to help with cash flow problems or to avoid tax.

Not worth if for a fiver IMO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport