🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

mortgage arrears charges

Options
I know this has probably been asked before but can you claim back mortgage arrears charges from your provider as I have a court agreement with the lender for repaying back arrears owed, but they are still charging me £40 a month for arrears charges. In total there are 43 charges and I have written to the provider and they have said that the charges will stop as from now but they will not refund the charges already made, can they do that?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know this has probably been asked before

yes. ;)
    can you claim back mortgage arrears charges from your provider as I have a court agreement with the lender for repaying back arrears owed, but they are still charging me £40 a month for arrears charges.

Which they are allowed to do. The court may set the payment but it doesnt stop them adding the charge.

There has been limited success with claims on arrears charges. Far less than the other things people claim back. Mainly as most lenders do package it as covering a service involving higher qualified/more expensive staff and processes.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    I don't usually post a populist message on here, but I think charges like this for people who have slipped in to arrears and have made and kept to an arrangement to correct the situation are an abhorent evil that once reputable lenders are now cashing in on.

A charge for being advised that a payment has been missed, I can handle.

A charge for making an agreement to pay less than contracted where a personal situation requires it, ok, perhaps.

A charge for breaking that agreement? I could go with that.

But a monthly charge for continuing that agreement when a customer is paying what has been agreed?

It's rotten to the core.

(As ever, Dunstonh's answer is correct).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport