🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

ftb deposit question?

Options
Hi I am a first time buyer and have seen a property that im quite interested in. I am going to natwest this week for AIP. My question is this: Half of my deposit is coming from my Father. How do we go about this? Does he just write me a cheque and I put it in my bank or does he have to sign something to say he has no interest in the property? Will he have to give me the money before i ask for AIP so the bank can see that the full deposit is there already> Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Lindy_Loo_3
    Lindy_Loo_3 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Natwest or your solicitor will be able to be more specific but I think your Dad can "gift" you the money and sign something to say he has no interest in the property.

Don't think you need to show you have the deposit for the AIP but Natwest will be able to advise you better.

Good Luck!
  • Cannon_Fodder
    Cannon_Fodder Posts: 3,980 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on the arrangement your Father wishes, in respect of the money.

i.e. Is he expecting it back at some point, or giving it to you as a "gift"...

If he just gives you a cheque, he has no rights.

If he does not ask you to sign an agreement on repayment (or % of property he wishes in return), or for inclusion on the papers/deeds/mortgage, then he has no rights.

If he says he expects it back you might feel a moral obligation, but if he wants the agreement to be enforceable he should get it in writing.
  • emmalita
    emmalita Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No hes not expecting it back.Its a gift just wasnt sure how to go about it thats all.Thanks for your replies so i will not need it in time for AIP?
  • amazelucy
    amazelucy Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    emmalita wrote: »
    No hes not expecting it back.Its a gift just wasnt sure how to go about it thats all.Thanks for your replies so i will not need it in time for AIP?

Hi,

No you definately do not need it there for the AIP. I have just had my mortgage offer from Natwest.

My mother was giving us the deposit. My solicitor said it was easiest for my mum to transfer the money into my account - and then when it comes to the time to pay it, it will come from my account - otherwise there is legal stuff about the solicitor having to check my mum out about money laundering etc - so just a bit of advice - see if your dad will transfer it into your bank account ready for when you need it - will make it easier and quicker for you when the time comes.

Good luck

Lucy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills