Holiday and Notice Period

Options
Hello,

Does anyone know the answer to this:

If I have 10 working days holiday left and I have to give or be given one months notice before I leave, if I decide I want to work that month then am I entitled to money for my holiday time or can I take my holiday and then serve my month notice.

The above is probably confusing. Basically, does my holiday time count as my notice time.

Thank you.

Comments

• honeypop
    honeypop Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All contracts I have ever been given state holiday cannot be used during notice period, so you'd need to check what yours says. If you don't take it during that period though, you are entitled to be paid for any annual leave accrued but untaken - is the 10 days you state what you have 'earned' so far, or what you have left out of your whole years entitlement?
  • i4U
    i4U Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. I assumed that.

The ten days (roughly) is what I have accrued so far. My work year is calender year and I get 25 days, I have only used three days. I calculate if I leave end of July, I would be owed 10 days.

I may seem a bit ungrateful in this climate, but I am planning on leaving end of July to go solo. Spend 6 months concentrating on some personal stuff and then go self employed.

I also believe my post would end soon anyway, whether I decided to leave or not (too much to go into). What's the best way to leave without jeoperdising my future prospects of employment elsewhere. I have been told if I give notice and quit it looks bad. is this true? Should I ask them to make me redundant, although I would not be entitled to any redundancy pay, as I haven't been there long enough.
  • kateab
    kateab Posts: 2,824 Forumite
    Options
    Why would it look bad if you quit? Because you're setting up on your own? That's rollocks! I think the only situation that wold "look bad" would be if you're dismissed.

If you are going self-employed, I think I would work to the bitter end and get paid the untaken leave. It will just give you a little bit of a buffer to keep you going.

kateab
    Definitely NOT the blogger at Katie and the Kids, OK?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure you can ask to be made redundant if they're not considering making people redundant, IYSWIM.

It's the post which has to be redundant, so if they would advertise your post after you've gone, it's not redundancy.

However if voluntary redundancy is a possibility, asking for it would probably be financially worthwhile.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    honeypop wrote: »
    All contracts I have ever been given state holiday cannot be used during notice period, so you'd need to check what yours says. If you don't take it during that period though, you are entitled to be paid for any annual leave accrued but untaken - is the 10 days you state what you have 'earned' so far, or what you have left out of your whole years entitlement?
    All contracts I have been given (in over 40 years) or issued have been silent on taking holiday during notice. So checking your own written particulars is important.

However remember that an employer can refuse a holiday request (as long as that would not deprive you of your paid statutory holiday entitlement in a year).
  • Ryann_2
    Ryann_2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you to all.

What does IYSWIM mean?

I won't get paid redundancy pay if I asked for voluntary redundancy, is it still worthwhile?

Ryann
    Ryann - London
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ryann wrote: »
    Thank you to all.

What does IYSWIM mean?

I won't get paid redundancy pay if I asked for voluntary redundancy, is it still worthwhile?

Ryann

If you see what I mean.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family