Minimum wage HELP

Options
Hi there,

I have been with Superdrug for over two years and i am recieving £5.83 an hour. However they are trying to make all under 22's lower there wage to £4.70ish.

Can they do this legally.
Thanks

Comments

• JustWonderful
    JustWonderful Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I also work for Superdrug and frankly think it is disgusting what they want to do to us under-22 year olds.

Legally, it appears that they can do this, however I can certainly see a lot of staff leaving..in my store at least 3 will definitely leave.

It makes you think, why bother working?
  • Mudd14
    Mudd14 Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    That cant just do it without your say so as you have a contract which states an hourly rate of £5.83. It is a fundemental part of your contract to change it to £4.70ish so they would need to properly consult with you and have your acceptance.

If you refuse to accept the condition then and they choose to impose the chnage then you could resign and claim constructive dismissal (if you have over 1 years service)
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    and, as shop workers are you members of USDAW?

because if you are they could make a fuss on your behalf.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • ninky_2
    ninky_2 Posts: 5,872 Forumite
    Options
    i suggest a boycott of superdrug and a stiff email to their customer relations department.
    Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves. - Lord Byron
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Mudd14 wrote: »
    That cant just do it without your say so as you have a contract which states an hourly rate of £5.83. It is a fundemental part of your contract to change it to £4.70ish so they would need to properly consult with you and have your acceptance.

If you refuse to accept the condition then and they choose to impose the chnage then you could resign and claim constructive dismissal (if you have over 1 years service)

Might be worth a tribunal to seek a protection order that would give up to 90 days, and might force them to make them redundant.

Don't you also all have the won't work Sundays protection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure