Time off to job search

Options
Not sure if anyone can advise but thought I would try. I have a friend who has elected to give up work as he was not enjoying the job or getting along all that well with the boss. Obviously they are aware he is leaving and he is currently working out his 4 weeks notice. I heard somewhere that he is entitled by law to a certain amount of time off to jobseek in these circumstances as it is difficult, obviously, to seek out a new job whilst working full time. Looking to see if this is right and if anyone could direct me to any legislation he could quote.

Many thanks
Katyk

Comments

• Ninja_Seb
    Ninja_Seb Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Trying to find a job when working full time is not easy. People say that it's easier to find a job when you have a job, well I'm not so sure..

I think they have to allow you to attend interviews, but I have never heard of having time off.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    The only time anyone would be allowed time off to look for work is if their post has been made redundant. Your friend is leaving his job by choice and therefore has to use his own time to look for work and take holiday when he has an interview.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought that was just when you're made redundant. As he's handed his notice in then he could ask for time off for interviews, but I'd not expect him to be paid for that time.
  • weezy_gal
    weezy_gal Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters, you will get time off for jobseeking when you're being made redundant not voluntary resignation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure