Help With Rights Please

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer please.

When someone resigns from my company the common practise is to ask them to leave immediately.

My questions are:
1 Can they do that?
2 Are the required to pay the person for the full length of notice they would have worked?

Thanks in advance

RD308
"Life's Too Short To Drink Bad Wine"

Comments

• pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My understanding of the situation is as follows (but hopefully someone can confirm):

1. Yes the company can ask you to leave immediatly (for example, they may be concerned the employee will take the company's intellectual property).

2. That the company would have to pay wages during any notice period (normally part of the contract) unless this is mutually waived in order to allow them to start the new job immediatly.

Websites like business link may give further advice.
  • Steffen_2
    Options
    Yes I would agree with that...
  • RedDino308
    RedDino308 Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both
  • Roobarb73
    Roobarb73 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    pjcox2005 wrote: »
    My understanding of the situation is as follows (but hopefully someone can confirm):

1. Yes the company can ask you to leave immediatly (for example, they may be concerned the employee will take the company's intellectual property).

2. That the company would have to pay wages during any notice period (normally part of the contract) unless this is mutually waived in order to allow them to start the new job immediatly.

Websites like business link may give further advice.

I agree, check your contract gives the employer the right to pay in lieu of notice though - or else it is something I would guess most employees would be happy to agree to ie getting paid to not work! Other thing they can do if they have contractual right to do so or if you agree is to put you on garden leave.
  • RedDino308
    RedDino308 Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you everyone,

That makes things a lot clearer.

RD308
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing