Help Needed With Employers Timesheets

Options
3guk
3guk Posts: 9 Forumite
Hi Guys,

New to this site and employer law so please go easy on me, my company have started introducing lots of new measures, that can only be described as cost cutting and one of these was introduced a few months ago and has really got me annoyed, I'm wondering weather it is legal.

I'm an Engineer out in the Field and as a result every job requires travelling to, these are planned out on my calendar.

My employers have now started claiming a 1.5hours travel time rule, whereby they take 1.5hours a day off of our claimed hours with the reason being that each of the office employees take approx 45mins to get in to work, and 45 to get home.

Surely since my job is purely travelling they can not do this? It seems unfair that whilst I am doing my job (travelling to a site to do the job) that for 1.5hours each day I am effectively working for nothing.

Sorry for the long post, I'm new to this and wanted to be as descriptive as possible.

Cheers

Comments

• SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Options
    Do you live 45 mins away from your own base?

How many hours do you work a day (inc and exc travel time?)
    the reason being that each of the office employees take approx 45mins to get in to work

Typically employees do not get paid for the travel time and expenses of getting to work.

Bozo
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    It seems reasonable in theory
  • 3guk
    Options
    Surely the fact that I am a field service engineer negates this factor, I have to travel to each job, sometimes this can be 5 minutes down the road, and sometimes it can take 4 hours.

Since they do not have a Southern Office, I am assuming that my house constitutes as my place of work ? As a result leaving my house in the morning constitutes as a commencement of work ?
  • HelenYorkshire
    Options
    If it helps / is comparable, my friend who is based "in the field" officially works from home, so his day starts as soon as he gets in the van...
    I think you need to clarify exactly where your "base" is, officially speaking.
    "She who asks is a fool once. She who never asks is a fool forever"
    I'm a fool quite often :D
  • 3guk
    Options
    Indeed, I was speaking to a friend who seems to be well versed in this, he suggests that I offer them the choice if they wish to treat me as office staff then:

We need to have a Southern Base, that I have to commute to, a point which remains the same, where I can park my van, I then have to commute to this base every morning using my own mode of transport.I will get to this base at the same time as the office workers arrive at work, and will arrive back at this base at the time at which the office workers leave.

I'm quite happy to do this, even though it inconveniences me greatly, I guess if they want to apply office rules then I should be subject to all of the rules, not just part of them.

Does anyone else have anything to add ?

I appreciate the input guys, I've been reading up on the legalities of it all and it does seem like something is a little foul.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,070 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It might be worth reading the HMRC website about claiming for travel expenses, although it doesn't cover the time involved it DOES cover the situations in which you can claim for the costs of travel to and from work. And if you have no fixed base but are always sent to different sites then you CAN claim for the cost of travel.

It would be worth finding out whether he would deduct less from your hours if the average length of time taken to travel to work was suddenly reduced. It seems like a variation of your contract to me - do you have that handy, and what does it say?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If they are just imposing a 1.5hr reduction in your working time and not paying you for it then this looks like a grievence for illegal deduction of wages.

The time other people chose to comute to the office is irrelivent for any individual.
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    3guk wrote: »
    Indeed, I was speaking to a friend who seems to be well versed in this, he suggests that I offer them the choice if they wish to treat me as office staff then:

We need to have a Southern Base, that I have to commute to, a point which remains the same, where I can park my van, I then have to commute to this base every morning using my own mode of transport.I will get to this base at the same time as the office workers arrive at work, and will arrive back at this base at the time at which the office workers leave.

I'm quite happy to do this, even though it inconveniences me greatly, I guess if they want to apply office rules then I should be subject to all of the rules, not just part of them.

Does anyone else have anything to add ?

I appreciate the input guys, I've been reading up on the legalities of it all and it does seem like something is a little foul.

And if you do insist on being so petty the company will no doubt play you at your own game.

A car park 50 miles away being your base maybe. a nice insecure car park were you car can be stolen from everyday :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure