Sunburn Remedies the MSE way

Options
So foolishly i went out yesterday and ended up getting badly sunburnt.

I've read somewhere tat a cup of vinegar in a cool bath will remove some of the heat trapped in the skin and take away most of the pain, has anyone heard of this and does it work?

Or, does anyone have any other remedies to make it more bearable?

Comments

• WolfSong2000
    WolfSong2000 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ouch - sunburn's not fun. You have my sympathies! Whenever I'm unlucky enough to get sunburned I always slather Aloe Vera Gel over the areas which have been burned (my local Holland and Barrett had a special offer on Aloe Vera Gel, atm, as well). Helps soothe the area, cool it and help it heal quicker - I swear to god the stuff works miracles :).
  • marrowgirl
    marrowgirl Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aloe vera is great. We used to have a plant in the greenhouse and whenever I burnt myself cooking (a frequent occurance!) I would break off leaf and put the gel from inside straight on the burn. Worked a treat and VERY moneysaving!
    "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown
  • HH62
    HH62 Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another vote for aloe vera. Fantastic stuff.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be surprised if vinegar does anything good to sunburn, although a cool bath can provide short term relief if it's painful.

Savlon works well on sunburn and helps it heal faster.
  • LittleMissAspie
    LittleMissAspie Posts: 2,130 Forumite
    Options
    Calamine lotion? And keep it moisturised too as it will dry out.

I have an aloe vera plant but I don't think it helped much when I burnt my face last year. A cool flannel was better.
  • jenhug
    jenhug Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    Options
    soak in a cool bath for as long as you can bear, this will stop the burn cooking. Take some pain relief, and drink lots of water to rehydrate you. aloe gel or calamine milk lotion (its not chalky like the traditional stuff)
    My dad was taught this on a first aid course.
  • Krasnoludek
    Krasnoludek Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Another fan of aloe vera, I got burnt last week, snapped off a leaf, sliced it open and rubbed it around, it was amazing how quickly the redness went down the the heat went straight away

K x
  • tracyk
    tracyk Posts: 224 Forumite
    edited 31 May 2009 at 8:16PM
    Options
    Lavendar oil always works for me - hope you're feeling better soon...

Edited to say that I've read somewhere that natural yoghurt takes the heat out of sunburn - not sure it would smell very nice though
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Now when we were on holiday in Lanzarote, the rep told us that you're not supposed to just break the leaf and put the juice from an aloe vera plant on your skin, you're supposed to let it drain out in water first. :confused:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi thanks so much for all the useful replies, unfortunately i don't have or know anyone with an aloe vera plant but i will definitely look into buying one - i remember when i was a kid my friend had one and we used to use it for cuts and burns and it was great. Hadn't thought of it for sunburn though!

All of Saturday night and Sunday all day i was shamelessly whimpering away as the top of my shoulders is soooo painful. Yesterday i laid in a cool bath with some vinegar just to see how that felt - not sure i used enough vinegar but the cool bath was so blissful. But the fiery heat came back as soon as i dried and hasn't improved.

Top of my shoulders has lots of raised bumps kind of like blisters but with no water in(if that makes sense). VERY painful to lift my arms, feels like the skin will rip :(:(:(

OH keeps telling me i'm going to have to grin and bear it, and my midwife said to try some calamine lotion which i couldn't find any of in the house.

I've been moisturing the area with Aveeno cream which son has for eczema as i've always rated it for really dry skin, but can't tell if it's worked much because i'm still in so much pain!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure