PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Food budget for 2 adults and a 1 year old?

13»

Comments

• minnie123
    minnie123 Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks everyone - I know it sounds silly but it's not that OH is fussy more that he HATES a lot of food - He is almost repulsed by things like cheese, tomatoes and eggs especially which form the staple for a lot of cheap meals - He would not put a pizza anywhere near his mouth or eat a meal of spag bol. He won't touch pasta either so a lot of cheap meals are out the question for him. He will eat soup and I am going to try that mince and baked beans thing without the cheese and rice though - cos oh yeah rice disgusts him too - (he is a nightmare). What could I put with it?

With regards to my baby he is nearly one but it's funny because it's not that hes yet having the junk as in chips and nuggets etc and so refuses things like casserole - but he will eat baby jars which are casserole or spag bol but does not like my own version of them. I think it's maybe because the jars are a lot blander tasting.

I know people will say just make him (OH) things and if he leave them let him starve but I know he will never eat certain things so surely it's a waste making them for him. I want to still give him things he like but they need to be cheaper.

I might make a few cottage pies and freeze them (how do you freeze portions like that do you buy plastic lunchbox things?
  • djdymond
    djdymond Posts: 377 Forumite
    hiya

i cant speak from experience but have one on the way in august so this thread interested me!

i dont know much about weaning etc (yet!) but i wondered if you had tried giving him finger foods to suck, mash in his hands try? pineapple fingers, chunks of soft fruit? whats LO like with yogurt? Oh, and i do realise that fruit can be rather pricey. i find asda are quite good at cheap trays of finger fruit food type stuff!! i also saw on a baby/toddler type programme a looong time ago, the idea of having a colourful plate with bits and pieces to try on it that he/she can help themselves on through out the day, making a big fuss of them when they try something, or even trying something after watching you really enjoy it!!

youve probably tried these things or LO is a bit young, im not sure! i thought i could suggest anyway!

funnily enough, i did a tesco online order and it came to just over 50.. so im going to have to learn to cut back a little as ill have to include nappies and stuff soon!!!

Oh just a though, does OH like cereals? my OH would live on them and theres a few offers for them on the tesco site, lots for 1.50 at the mo?

Hope my babbling on has helped!!! xxx
  • Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Minnie - you could try the mince and beans with a jacket potato. Honestly, I realise your OH says he "hates" these foods, but maybe at his age, it's time to re-evaluate his tastes a bit. These foods might be something he disliked as a child and may actually find he likes now.

My toddler can be a bit of a fussy eater as well, but I try to plan meals like this:
    - at least one thing on the plate that I know he will eat, even if it's just bread and butter, so if he turns up his nose at the other stuff, I know he has something on the plate he will eat

- plan a meal every other night that I KNOW he likes, such as spag bol, mince/beans/rice, fish cakes, chicken kiev, and so on. That way if he is turning up his nose at a meal and doesn't eat much one night, I know he gets a good meal the next.

- if he likes those jars of baby food, try using it as part of his meal, like a spoonful or two with mash and a veg.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
  • Golden_Anemone
    Golden_Anemone Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    minnie123 wrote: »
    With regards to my baby he is nearly one but it's funny because it's not that hes yet having the junk as in chips and nuggets etc and so refuses things like casserole - but he will eat baby jars which are casserole or spag bol but does not like my own version of them. I think it's maybe because the jars are a lot blander tasting.

I think you've got it in 1 there minnie. I always cooked extra potato or rice to mix in with whatever we were having to "bland down" the flavour for my babies. I don't know what it is with babies and those jars though - I'd gag at the smell of them and my older boy would wolf them down. Don't thnink the younger boy ever had one as I'd worked out the baby food at home thing by then.

Your OH is another problem all together. I think you need to spell out costs to him and involve him in the menu / budgeting / shopping for a bit to try to get him to try new and less expensive things.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport