New career

I am currently in the building trade and getting quite sick of the lack of work and never knowing when im going to be laid off.

At 23 I haven't got many major qualifications except the 5 a-c GCSE', key skills and an NVQ in engineering.

Where can someone like me start with doing something...different? I live in London and im half decent with computers but have no idea what I want to do. I know there are a few people in the same boat but just wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

I now have a mortgage with my girlfriend so can't really be out of work for too long, although we have a few grand in savings. It feels like im stuck in the trade and building work is on the floor... would love something else as a back up or to start something completely different.

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you considered health and safety (especially with a buliding trade background)?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • ironman1
    ironman1 Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yeah someone told me there is good money in that (I hate the H&S people getting in the way but they do a good job!).

I want a job that doesn't involve driving as we sold our car last week as we hardly used it living in London near stations etc. Its already saved us loads of cash which will be going on a holiday.

I will look into the health and safety option. Its hard in the building game at the moment, in the last 3 works I've only worked 9 out of 15 days and being self employed it's a nightmare
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    s.h.m.w wrote: »
    Yeah someone told me there is good money in that (I hate the H&S people getting in the way but they do a good job!).

I want a job that doesn't involve driving as we sold our car last week as we hardly used it living in London near stations etc. Its already saved us loads of cash which will be going on a holiday.

I will look into the health and safety option. Its hard in the building game at the moment, in the last 3 works I've only worked 9 out of 15 days and being self employed it's a nightmare

I really think you need a car to do H&S because you'd be visiting site all over the place.

Have you got NVQ/C&G in a trade or are you a general builder?

Have you looked at doing somthing completely different, such as a degree with the OU?
  • ironman1
    ironman1 Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I havent looked into anything really. I have an NVQ in Ellectrical installation but have done other work on site. Jack of all master at none and all that!

We got rid of the car because we both work in the city, 95% of my work has been on sites up town and driving would be nearly impossible at that time of the morning in the heart of London. I have always got the train to work
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 May 2009 at 9:19PM
    s.h.m.w wrote: »
    I havent looked into anything really. I have an NVQ in Ellectrical installation but have done other work on site. Jack of all master at none and all that!

How about city and guilds in PAT.
    Testing and inspection (good qualification to have but it's not easy to pass the exam).
    17 edition IEEE cert.
    http://www.cityandguilds.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-30E92294-E3A3388F/cgonline/hs.xsl/1779.html?search_term=pat
    Neebosh construction health and safety cert http://www.nebosh.org.uk/Qualifications/Certificate/default.asp?cref=54&ct=2

Anything there float your boat?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    I know I always post this (the Careers Adviser in me coming out!) but why not arrange some free professional careers guidance, either by phone with Learndirect or face to face with Nexstep.
  • ohreally wrote: »
    How about city and guilds in PAT.
    Testing and inspection (good qualification to have but it's not easy to pass the exam).
    17 edition IEEE cert.
    http://www.cityandguilds.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-30E92294-E3A3388F/cgonline/hs.xsl/1779.html?search_term=pat
    Neebosh construction health and safety cert http://www.nebosh.org.uk/Qualifications/Certificate/default.asp?cref=54&ct=2

Anything there float your boat?

City and Guilds 2377 is for Portable Appliance Testing.
    City and Guilds 2382 is 17th Edition and is often the minimum requirement. However the main qualification to get is City and Guilds 2391, Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations. This is the biggie and with this there is plenty of work around. The reason why? Most sparkies can't be bothered to get it.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    City and Guilds 2377 is for Portable Appliance Testing.
    City and Guilds 2382 is 17th Edition and is often the minimum requirement. However the main qualification to get is City and Guilds 2391, Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations. This is the biggie and with this there is plenty of work around. The reason why? Most sparkies can't be bothered to get it.

Roughly how long would that take? can do part or full time
  • Roughly how long would that take? can do part or full time

You have two options I guess.

Evening classes, would take you around 3-4 years and cost you approx £3k

Privately funded course, study around 8-10 hours per week taking 12-18 months for around £5.5k
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    You have two options I guess.

Evening classes, would take you around 3-4 years and cost you approx £3k

Privately funded course, study around 8-10 hours per week taking 12-18 months for around £5.5k

Thanks,

I would think of those as both part time, the idea would be career change and to try an accelerated program of learning(living costs funded from reduncancy).

The idea of inspection work fits in with my QA expertise but would be starting from scratch in the electical field so would need to done after the more basic stuff.

If the total cost is likely to be high then this may not be for me since I am not looking for a full time job in the future more 50%-60% of a year so aiming for the higher paid more skilled options.

I will pass the info onto to others that are in the same boat and looking at their options also.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure